i keep finding one drive spun up at full soeed for no reason

50 minutes ago, jonnypajamas said:

I checked drive 1 and theres no appdata folder on it but the docker image is there.  the write speed says 231MB and it will run at that speed forever until I restart, where is it writing all that data to?  is it just going to NULL?

You see BTRFS in action...

1 hour ago, Zonediver said:

Hopefully its a bug... every time i put Data on the array and start the mover, my disk 1 spin up with no reason. But sometimes some other disks as well o.O

This usually means you have the same share name on different disks, which mover will check.

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

This usually means you have the same share name on different disks, which mover will check.

Cant be because at v5 it wasnt like now - and the shares are the same since 2010, as i installed unraid.

I see this since v6 so there must be something different to v5

Edited by Zonediver
  • 2 weeks later...

I was searching for the same issue and it led me here. It appears that its a clone docker.img being saved on one disk. Unraid is keeping this disk as a realtime backup of the docker.img for me. Not sure if I have something misconfigured or if it's possible a bug as alluded to earlier.

Just now, sirkuz said:

ok back to the question in this topic tho which was about keeping one disk active all the time. Is this why it keeps disk 5 (in my case) spinning all the time and is it normal?

Yes. It's normal for the disk that contains your docker image to stay spun up. Many people use an SSD cache drive instead of keeping it on an array disk.

Thanks. I have an SSD cache but after it corrupted (2nd and last time while using btfrs) I formatted back to xfs. I haven't quite gotten to the point of figuring out how to move it back to cache drive only. I has assumed they were saved to the appdata share which is set to prefer cache. However the docker.img file still sits on disk5. Will have to figure out how to move that without having to recreate all my containers :(

One quick little search is all it took :) Stop all dockers, disable docker service, run mover. Then re-enable. It's moving my img now and hopefully I don't have to recreate all my containers but no big deal if so. This hopefully will take care of that useless disk spinning all the time :) 

Thanks for the help!