Dual X5670 vs E3-1245v5

I have setups for both and have been trying to decide whether to use lower power modern hardware or older tech with more cores and better passmark for my Plex server. I share with 10 remote users and limit them to 3.0mbps 720p each. Most transcodes I've had at once is 6 I believe. So this is just hitting the limit of what the 1245 can do. Never had a performance issue though.

If I end up running a Windows 10 gaming VM, the 1245 with faster clock speed may be preferred but fewer cores.

I feel it's a toss up. I'd get more selling the 1245 and 1151 m/b though.

Curious to know what you guys think.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The clock speeds are negligible, imo.  I mean, it comes down to heat/electric or how I would view it. I know a 1240v3 will handle 10 concurrent streams (that's with Plex running in a docker) with a bump here or there, 6 being transcoded streams, I've done it with 32MB ECC RAM, fwiw.  So I imagine the 1245v5 would at least do the same.  If I could have only one, I would likely choose the Dual X5670 (depending on how many VM's I was interested in running, otherwise the more L2 and > 32MB RAM limit may not be worth the electric/heat), the 1245v5 has AES-Ni thus a higher AES benchmark, which, is nice you're running a VPN (pfSense or otherwise).  I think I'd probably hardware hoard them both. <grin>  Not a great help I know but.. yeah.

On 5/9/2017 at 9:24 PM, aberg83 said:

If it helps any I use docker containers for my needs. At the moment no pressing need for VMs. The V5 Skylake can support up to 64gb ECC unbuffered unlike previous gen e3s.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Right, I was thinking of my 1240v3 box that used to run the Plex docker, that and seeing where I mentioned the 32GB ECC that I used with it.  Typing fart.  Still, greater than 64GB (288GB).  But if VM's aren't what you roll with, nor foresee doing so (the mention of the Windows VM and having dual X5670's I suppose I figured you leaned towards VM's), I wouldn't put it past that 1245v5 running 10 streams.  Do what I do, if able.  I have 4-5 streaming at any given time on my server it seems.  I fired up the PMS docker on the E3-1240v3 (those I share with probably wondered where all the new content was but lolz to be had in a weird sick way temporarily) yesterday to test this.  The users didn't fail me.  7 streams at 720p 3MB going out, then I began playing the following (in this order): stream to Android S8, then iPhone 6s (or whatever it is, is my wife's and I'm Apple ignorant for the most part), then cellular iPad, then two Roku's sticks (both set to lowest 1080p MB/s), it didn't start choking a little until I started up a stream to the Roku 4k (was only 1080p material though fwiw), however.. with that said, things seem to roll fine (on my end that I could watch) once the transcoding caught up on the stream going to the 4k.  This on a 30M upstream line, and 1 and 10 Gbps LAN (mix).