Norco 4224 Thread

Guest Jomp

Does the SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS 8-Port Controller Card work with the latest unraid version (6.1.6)? Just got my Norco RPC-4224 case and was planning to upgrade the controllers as well. is the above mentioned card a good choice? If not then anyt recommendations/suggestion would be very helpful.

Couple of related questions, I have never used a SAS controller card in my previous unRaid boxes all drives were directly connected to the motherboard or to PCI-e to SATA port multiplier cards (SATA III to SATA III):

1) So do these SAS controller cards come with the mini-SAS to mini-SAS connectors or do I need to purchase separately, if so then any recommendations (links would be appreciated very much)?

2) If choose to connect the hard drives in the Norco directly to the motherboard (by removing the backplanes) - would I loose the hot swap ability of the Norco drive bays? (I am assuming yes..but would like to confirm)

3) I have 3 x 120 mm fans behind the drive cages and 2 x 80mm at the rear - is that how this case is designed - how are these 1200 mm fans - are they loud - should I consider replacing them?

All help appreciated - Thanks.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS 8-Port Controller Card work with the latest unraid version (6.1.6)?

Yes, BUT ... some folks have had unresolved data corruption/red-ball issues, while for others the card works fine.    The safest thing to do is to buy a different controller.    I'd get Dell H310's [ http://www.amazon.com/3P0R3-Controller-PCI-E-mini-SAS-PowerEdge/dp/B00ZSXK1YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449970910&sr=8-1&keywords=perc+h310 ]  ... you need to flash the firmware, but that's a very simple process, and there are no reported issues with these and UnRAID.    Many folks who have/had SAS2LP's have recently replaced them with H310's due to the unresolved issues.

Thank garycase.

So those are PCIe 2.0 x8 cards - and I would need three of them to use all of the 24 drive slots. Problem is I don't have 3 PCI-e x8 or x16 slots, I only have one x16 and two x1 slots.

Any chance there would be raid cards that use less that x8? otherwise I would have to switch the motherboard and processor too....which might not be a good idea - this being the season of giving and all :) - truth be told that would be stretching my budget.

Thanks,

Abhi

This card will support 16 drives in your x16 slot:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118142

How many SATA ports are on the motherboard?  You can still use your backplane with those ... you just need the proper cables:  http://www.amazon.com/Norco-C-SFF8087-4S-Discrete-SFF-8087-Breakout/dp/B002MK7F0Y

If you have 8 SATA ports on the motherboard, two of those cables plus the 16 port card is all you'll need.  If there are fewer than 8 SATA ports on the motherboard, you can still use two of those cables, but you'll likely need a PCIe x1 2-port card to install in one of the PCIe x1 slots to give you a total of 24 ports.

How many SATA ports are on the motherboard?  You can still use your backplane with those ... you just need the proper cables:  http://www.amazon.com/Norco-C-SFF8087-4S-Discrete-SFF-8087-Breakout/dp/B002MK7F0Y

If you have 8 SATA ports on the motherboard, two of those cables plus the 16 port card is all you'll need.  If there are fewer than 8 SATA ports on the motherboard, you can still use two of those cables, but you'll likely need a PCIe x1 2-port card to install in one of the PCIe x1 slots to give you a total of 24 ports.

Perfect - that is fantastic news. Thank you so much. Those reverse breakout cables are exactly what I need then, I currently have 10 storage, 1 parity and a cache (SSD) = 12 drives all connected with out a SAS raid card - 6 SATA III ports on the MB and 6 SATA III ports on 2 port multiplier cards like the ones you suggested.

So for the time-being all I need is 3 of those cables to basically connect all the drives without a raid card to the backplate SAS connectors and utilize the hot swap feature of the Norco drive bays - correct?

• 1 year later...

I'm considering this case and have the dumb question of the day. 

Will something this size / weight need some type of support at the rear of the rack?  I'm not very experienced with racks, but I have one with my switch, a tray for my Synology and a Cyberpower UPS.  It's only 6U, so I'd need something new.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a lower cost wall mountable rack?

I'm considering this case and have the dumb question of the day. 

Will something this size / weight need some type of support at the rear of the rack?  I'm not very experienced with racks, but I have one with my switch, a tray for my Synology and a Cyberpower UPS.  It's only 6U, so I'd need something new.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a lower cost wall mountable rack?

It's heavy and long. The length alone will pretty much take all the wall mountable racks out of the equation, I would think. The weight would requires rear support as well.

hey guys i just brought the 4224 case, can some please tell me if this is old or new version of the RPC-4224 Case

thanks in advanced

It's got the 120mm fan plate and single molex backplanes, so it's the newest. Unless they've made some changes since then.

on the pic that i post above i believe is v 1.0

Not sure you can take that at face value.

I definitely have an older 4224, but mine are labeled "01 12Gb V2.0" (but dated 2013 26).

Yours look like 2015 47 maybe?

Reading on the 'net it looks like there were the older V1.0 backplanes that had 2 molex connectors, then the V2.0 12Gb with single connectors, then they went back to V1.0 with single connectors?

My original thread about this:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29274.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guest changed the title to Norco 4224 Thread