Unraid hang. No WebUi, shares unavailable. SSH available though.

After googling reiserfs keyword in the forum, I noticed that installing file integrity plugin can caused crash. 

Unfortunately, i have installed that plugin in my setup. Probably, the crash was caused by that plugin. I remember I did upgrade to 6 long ago and experience no hang. Only lately. Hopefully, the hang is caused by that plugin.

I will report back in a few days. So far no hang.

Thanks.

On 5/18/2017 at 2:56 PM, limetech said:

When you are in this "hang" condition, and can access console, type:

diagnostics

This will place time-stamped diagnostic file on your usb flash in the 'logs' directory.  Please upload that.

On 5/18/2017 at 2:58 PM, limetech said:

If you see this you definitely should start array in Maintenance mode and run File System Check.

These responses were directly from limetech support, so I wouldn't say you haven't gotten a response.

• Upvote 1
On 5/19/2017 at 2:58 AM, limetech said:

We still have plenty of reiserfs disks in various servers, never see any "hangs".

If you see this you definitely should start array in Maintenance mode and run File System Check.

I already did that.

On 5/19/2017 at 2:56 AM, limetech said:

Please use latest 6.3.4 unRAID OS release.

What do you mean by "hang"?  Meaning webGui?  If so can you still log into console?  Can you still access shares over the network?

When you are in this "hang" condition, and can access console, type:

diagnostics

This will place time-stamped diagnostic file on your usb flash in the 'logs' directory.  Please upload that.

You should be able to high power button on your server or from console you should also be able to type 'reboot' or 'powerdown' - that might take 60 sec to finish if indeed webgui is in "hanging" state, but it should work.

Attached are the diagnostics file.

Please help me identify the problem and provide a solution.

Thanks.

FCPsyslog_tail.zip

tower-diagnostics-20170529-0006.zip

19 hours ago, limetech said:

You have a huge number of plugins, do you really need them all?  I suggest you boot in 'safe mode' (no plugins) and see if hang persists.

How do I boot in safe mode? Can I reboot in safe mode from ssh?

By the way, did you take a look at the log files? Anything?

Edited by publicENEMY
4 hours ago, publicENEMY said:

By the way, did you take a look at the log files? Anything?

Yes, saw a large number of plugins and packages being installed, python being deleted twice, etc.  Nothing obviously causing a 'hang'.

Plugins should be used sparingly if at all.  Most higher level functionality is better using docker.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, limetech said:

Yes, saw a large number of plugins and packages being installed, python being deleted twice, etc.  Nothing obviously causing a 'hang'.

Plugins should be used sparingly if at all.  Most higher level functionality is better using docker.

Ok. Noted.

7 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

You apparently know what you are doing as a Linux neophyte requires a lot of hand holding.

What do you mean? I thought I'm more like a Sith Lord. :)

Still looks like some issues with plugins, but will leave to to the experts to review.

But wanted to mention that your drives are very hot! Most are over 50C, with several 54C or 55C.

Generally accepted temperature guidance is to try to keep temps in the 30s, maybe hitting low 40s during parity checks. 45C is too hot. 50C is way too hot. And you are 5C hotter than that. Normally people see their highest temps during parity checks, but I don't see any evidence of a parity check when these reports were taken. I would seriously review your drive cooling. Would definitely consider something like SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B (5in3 cages) which do a very effective job of cooling.

You also have 1 reallocated sector (drive with serial number ending in 031). Not the end of the world, but not a good thing. Monitor it, as often a single reallocation will breed more. Once this starts happening it is time to replace the drive. I can't say definitively that heat caused this, but it is certainly well within the realm of possibility that it was a contributing factor.

If the drives are hot, perhaps the whole system is hot. It could be affecting stability.

• Upvote 1