dual nic for bonding

I'm looking for the latest and greatest dual port nic for my unraid server, to be used with 2 1gig links in bonding mode.  I'm replacing a old Intel dual server nic that has issues.  After reviewing the LT hardware compatibility list, I'm no closer to making a selection.  That list is out dated big time and has none of the latest nics on it.

Some options I found on newegg are:

-Intel E1G42ET

-Intel E1G42ETBLK

-Intel EXPI9402PT

-Intel EXPI9402PTBLK 

-Supermicro AOC-SG-i2

-StarTech ST2000SPEXI 

-Rosewill RNG-407-Dualv2

I searched for some of these models in the forums but didn't really find much - perhaps means not too many issues with nics and unraid.  I just want to be sure bonding will work.

I'm looking for "Works right out of the box", with no scripts or work-arounds and it needs to work with unraid 6.3.x

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using an i350-T2.  It's an elcheapo chinese Intel clone, and works great.  You'll need an x4 slot.  

This is similar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-I350-T2-Dual-Port-Gigabit-1000M-PCI-E-Network-Server-Adapter-I350-AM2-/142319731685

I also added a stick-on RAM heatsink to the controller chip, as it was running at about 80C in my very low airflow case.  Probably fine, but I have heaps of those little heatsinks and only takes a second to stick one on.

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

I bought the "real" thing at the time and paid a small fortune. Any gotchas with this chinese clone?

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the lack of Intel logo, and the black choke things are no-name items where real Intel cards would use Delta or similar.  Oh, and it's only two port rather than 4 port as per most i350 cards.  They work exactly as expected, using the normal Intel drivers.

But, considering the price I think they're worth it.  If it dies, it's cheap to replace.

This one cheap'o is pretty awesome and works well under unRaid.

A real bargain on ebay 4x1GBit for next to nothing:

Dell INTEL Pro/1000 VT 4-Port Network PCI-e Adapter NIC TY674

Simple question

What is the use for bonding on unRaid server (except of failover prvention), when the maximum transfer speed is limited to one drive speed ? (unless you use mainly read data from ssd cache?)

Edited by art-informa.pl
On 5/22/2017 at 1:28 AM, HellDiverUK said:

I'm using an i350-T2.  It's an elcheapo chinese Intel clone, and works great.  You'll need an x4 slot.  

This is similar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-I350-T2-Dual-Port-Gigabit-1000M-PCI-E-Network-Server-Adapter-I350-AM2-/142319731685

I also added a stick-on RAM heatsink to the controller chip, as it was running at about 80C in my very low airflow case.  Probably fine, but I have heaps of those little heatsinks and only takes a second to stick one on.

Cool, thank you!

6 hours ago, art-informa.pl said:

This one cheap'o is pretty awesome and works well under unRaid.

A real bargain on ebay 4x1GBit for next to nothing:

Dell INTEL Pro/1000 VT 4-Port Network PCI-e Adapter NIC TY674

Simple question

What is the use for bonding on unRaid server (except of failover prvention), when the maximum transfer speed is limited to one drive speed ? (unless you use mainly read data from ssd cache?)

Why do you say max speed is limited to 1 drive read speed? My Plex server has TV/movies stored amongst ~7 different drives. At any one time, I may have 5-6 streams reading from multiple of the drives. Add to it my VM's running on "unassigned devices" SSD's, Sabnzbd, security cameras feeding to a VM and then sending back out to my viewing panels/devices, and of course my steam library stored on cache SSD being served up to a few gaming PC's. 1gig can get saturated quickly at times.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, NotYetRated said:

Why do you say max speed is limited to 1 drive read speed? My Plex server has TV/movies stored amongst ~7 different drives. At any one time, I may have 5-6 streams reading from multiple of the drives. Add to it my VM's running on "unassigned devices" SSD's, Sabnzbd, security cameras feeding to a VM and then sending back out to my viewing panels/devices, and of course my steam library stored on cache SSD being served up to a few gaming PC's. 1gig can get saturated quickly at times.

Hi, you totally right. Did not though about streaming from multiple HDD's. Thank you for this :)