Finally did a new build...

So I finally embarked on a build, got cold feet, abandoned it, sold/returned the bits, got regrets and embarked again :)

The original build I was going to do is similar to what I ended up with but this time around I was a little more patient and found second hand / almost new parts on eBay for the most part.

PSU: EVGA G2 850W PSU from eBay (about £20 cheaper than the less powerful PSU I bought first time) Seems like a really high quality modular PSU.

Motherboard: ASRock Extreme 6 X99 motherboard from eBay (paid 60 quid less this time round than buying new ASRock X99 Taichi first time)

RAM 64GB Crucial ECC DDR4 from eBay (paid less this time round than first time)

Case: Phanteks Evolv ATX case, “b grade”/customer return from Overclockers (half price but is basically new). Previously I had bought the tempered glass version for twice the price. It was beautiful but slightly impractical and the hinged doors on the non-glass version are a lot more practical to work with.

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15S (only thing brand new in this build as not much more than 2nd hand), plus the Phanteks case comes with 3 decent fans. *very* quiet cooler. I had gone for an H75 AIO cooler but given my server will sit under a desk I might as well go for the huge quiet but slightly ugly Noctua.

Storage: 3x3TB WD Red drives from previous machine (one is parity)

Cache: 500GB Crucial SSD cache/VM drive from previous machine

Graphics: Asus GTX 950 from previous machine

USB card: added an additional card for passthrough to OSX, Inateck PCI-E  -> USB card

The only thing I have not been able to get a good deal on this time round was the processor. But I lucked out previously managing to get an E5-2683v3 retail for £250. I can’t get anything anywhere near as good as that this time so have gone for a “holding pattern” in the form of an E5-2630L v3 ES for 60 quid (update….currently awaiting an ES version of the E5-2695 to arrive)

Next steps:-  Upgrade the processor when it arrives, increase my storage from the piddly 6TB I currently have. Increase my fast SSD based VM storage or maybe even try out NVMe passthrough since this motherboard has an M.2 slot.

DSC02446.JPG

DSC02447.JPG

DSC02449.JPG

Edited by planetwilson
Typo
1 hour ago, jrd680 said:

Only 6GB of ram...do you mean 64?

5 hours ago, planetwilson said:

RAM 64GB Crucial ECC DDR4

Storage: 3x3TB WD Red

increase my storage from the piddly 6GB

He meant 6TB, I was being a smart alec and ribbing him about the typo.