New Unraid build - kicking out the old one...

Sphinkx

Hi

I'm more or less satisfied user of unraid since 2011. My config was my old AM2 CPU + Asus motherboard with 6 internal SATA ports I rebuild to an server. 620w power supply.Later I added a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 because not enough SATA ports.  At the moment I have 7 disc's running. Parity of 4TB WD Red. Rest is a mix of discs between 1 and 3TB. I have a coolermaster stacker as case. Plenty of room but at the moment I am at 96% of my capacity.  System is +/- 8 years old.

Because current limitations in capacity and problems with my HD temperature during parity check and when all disc's are spinning I plan to build a new server. Goal is to transfer all my current disc's into the new server and buy an additional HD - Probably the WD Red 4TB.  I also have an 3 TB still on the shelve. This will also be added in my server.

I am running the last version of unraid. Building a new server and moving all disc's and unraid USB stick to the new server shouldn't be a problem according to posts I've read in this forum.

The new setup would be:

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/Sphinkx/saved/fmct6h

Plan is to add the Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 card in my new server. According to the Super Micro site they are compatible. I will also buy an Icy Dock Black vortex 4 in 3 hot swap module. By doing that I will be able to put 12 disc's in my case. I don't have plans of using a cache disc and will only use 1 parity.

I use my server especially for storage of media (movies, pictures, books). My Kodi mediaplayer picks up the data and I play that on my TV.  

Any remarks on my list of components? 

The SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and other Marvell-based controllers have come under fire here for not being compatible with passthrough VM technology. There are workarounds and many users find they help, but might suggest doing some more homework, and possibly looking at an LSI card if you are buying new.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

The SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and other Marvell-based controllers have come under fire here for not being compatible with passthrough VM technology. 

I've NEVER had an issue with the SAS2LP, in multiple machines in unRAID.  Yes, other Marvell cards can suck, but had no issues with the Supermicro.

• Upvote 1

Most users don't have issues it it, but there are enough with problems to make it not a recommended controller, I also have 2 and never had issues, though they are in servers with vt-d disable. I'd say if you're going to buy new definitely get an LSI, if you already have one use it, most likely you'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

Well. I will know when I test this I suppose..  It it doesn't work I can always search for an solution or buy another controller. At my current unraid server I don't have an issue with the controller.

But there is only a problem with passthrough VM technology? I don't think I will be using that since I only use my server for data storage. I hardly use dockers/apps.

First I wanted to add a basic DeLock SATA controller card. But since I still have the supermicro card I wanted to try this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLOCK-Controller-SATA-port-Raid/dp/B000RTYKQY/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1493293962&sr=1-1&keywords=DeLOCK+-+4+port+sata+Controller

Edited by Sphinkx

58 minutes ago, tdallen said:

You have a WD Red Pro in partpicker.  I've had good luck with the regular WD Reds, not sure you need to go up to the Pro (though it couldn't hurt).

Hmm. Good point. I'm indeed having the regular WD red nas. I'm also in doubt to take a Hgst nas disks. In reviews they often are a bit better. Another doubt is to take a 6 tb drive. But then I have to change parity...

3 hours ago, TinkerToyTech said:

I picked up 3 LSI SAS9211-8i cards pre-flashed to it mode for about 60 dollars each two weeks ago.

Actually LSI SA 9201-8i is an even better option. It is a pure HBA, so patching into IT mode is not necessary.

I recently bought the 9201-16i.

• Upvote 1