Docker Image Filling Up

My docker.img was created 50GB, and the Docker Settings page is telling me that it currently has 38GB used space. I'm getting notifications in my browser that it's something like 74% full.

Label: none  uuid: 08f2d3d8-faa3-4148-bdc4-0997d60d7194
	Total devices 1 FS bytes used 35.34GiB
	devid    1 size 50.00GiB used 38.02GiB path /dev/loop0

I've installed cAdvisor to see if I can find out what is eating up all the space, but according to it, I'm significantly under 50GB (I should note I do have two instances of dropbox running, but only one is showing up here for some reason).

Repository			Tags		ID			Virtual Size	Creation Time
yujiod/minecraft-mineos		latest	sha256:b4e67aaf1a2f72bbd	413.40 MiB	6/12/2016, 9:14:00 AM
sparklyballs/handbrake		latest	sha256:13dc3efa788e046c8	1004.53 MiB	3/1/2017, 9:08:12 PM
roninkenji/dropbox-docker	latest	sha256:b7cba78d15383f97d	449.57 MiB	11/16/2016, 4:58:04 PM
linuxserver/resilio-sync	latest	sha256:d2f42979c3f189355	35.86 MiB	4/21/2017, 5:49:28 PM
linuxserver/plex		latest	sha256:c8900bbc5549da132	412.23 MiB	4/21/2017, 5:42:03 PM
linuxserver/duckdns		latest	sha256:01b9e64da57ef17a9	21.20 MiB	4/21/2017, 5:48:37 PM
hurricane/ubooquity		latest	sha256:28ad70a06a09c4b86	470.86 MiB	6/21/2016, 2:58:18 PM
google/cadvisor			latest	sha256:f9ba08bafdeaf8158	54.66 MiB	3/9/2017, 5:30:29 PM
aptalca/docker-rdp-calibre	latest	sha256:e5bda5ab506738375	1.37 GiB	9/16/2016, 11:02:39 PM

I also tried to get in to each container and find all files larger than 100MB, but kept getting an error "invalid number 100M"

docker -exec -it containername bash 
find / -xdev -type f -size +100M

Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

I've attached the settings of the docker page. I think I've got everything mapped correctly, pointing to something in /mnt/appdata (or at least something outside the docker). Except for cAdvisor, and that one was set up after I started getting space notifications. The appdata users share is configured to be a cache-only share as well, if that matters.

Capture.JPG

You are definitely doing something wrong. I've never heard of anyone filling up even 20GB if they weren't doing something wrong. The docker FAQ mentioned is pinned at the top of this subforum. Take a look at the Troubleshooting section.

If your volume mappings are correct, then you must make sure that no application is writing files to paths that are not in the container paths of those volume mappings. Some common mistakes are to specify a path using different upper/lower case than that specified in the volume mappings, or to leave the / off at the beginning of a path

The Docker FAQ was actually my first stop. The FAQ link that seemed to apply to me was "Why does my docker.img file keep filling up still, when I've got everything configured correctly?" That link said you could force dockers to have a max size on log files by adding an Extra Parameter in each of your dockers. I double and triple checked (again just now TeamViewered in to my system, as I'm not at home atm) and none of my dockers were configured to save anything internally. Every host path field in all my dockers was pointed to something on the cache drive.

However, I found the offending docker (resilio-sync), but don't know why it was filling docker.img. I wasn't actively using that docker yet, just had the sync folders set up and indexed, so I went ahead and deleted it. Immediately docker.img dropped down to 14GB used instead of like 38GB or whatever it was. So.... why? There's a setting in there for the folder you want to sync, so I passed through /mnt/user (which is mapped internally to /sync) so I could create sync groups for each of my user shares. I mean I guess it filled up because there's a ton of stuff I was trying to sync, but how do I avoid that in the future? I know there's the option to specify internal paths to map to external paths (to the cache drive for instance) but I have no idea where inside the docker Resilio was storing this sync information.

Did I configure something wrong?

Screenshot_20170426-134947.png

I don't use that particular docker. In general, it's likely that the configuration within the application is the problem, not the mappings. For example, you have the container path /sync mapped to the host volume /mnt/user, which is probably OK, but do you have the actual application within the container configured to write to /sync (exactly) and nowhere else? Something like /Sync or sync, for example, is not the same as /sync.

I understand what you're saying with /sync, /Sync, or sync all being different paths. I'm not sure that is pertinent to this particular situation, though. When you open the webui, there's basically a button for "choose a folder to sync" and then once you navigate to the internal /sync path, all your user shares are presented, and you select Audio (for example) and click OK. An indexer starts running and you moved on to the next one. I don't mean to derail this thread into some sort of resilio troubleshooting thread, there's already one of those. i can post in there for more details/troubleshooting help.

Is there a command or set of commands I can use to determine file size of a given docker? Like "du -h /mnt/user/Audio" would give me total size of the Audio user share; is there something like that I could use to find the total size of a docker? I figure if there is something like that, I could get total size of all dockers, wait an hour and run again, then compare results to see which (if any) dockers are growing.

Edited by master.h
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Im having the exact same issue: 

I was also using resilio sync docker (although i have not done anything since actually installing it, so not connected to anything). But deleting said docker did not improve my space usage, it freed up couple of hundred MB. Any other suggestions as to how i can debug and find the culprit? I have double and tripple checked every docker and all the download directories etc.