VM questions...

Sorry if this isn't in the right section.

I have a few questions. I'm happy with Unraid, the system is great, the Dockers are all I need (Plex, Sab, Coach and Sonar/Sickbeard).

But everytime I get to rebuilding a server/a new build, I always have Windows on my mind. A fully functional OS.

So for the first time, I'm considering using a VM and having the best of both worlds.

The specs for my build are a E3-1240 v3 and 8GB of RAM.

I have a few questions. But first my config, 20x4TB HDDs. 1TB mechanical cache (that I am planning to use ONLY for cache). And a 1TB SSD.

1 - If I install a VM, where could I install it? I'm hoping that my cache, would be just that. Cache and nothing else on it. The SSD I was planning to use just for Plex data, however now I'm considering a VM, I guess it'd make sense to install it on there. Or would the VM go on to the array?

2 - How to split the cores... The biggest downside for me would be making Plex lose a quarter of it's performance. My Upload speed at the moment is too poor for that to even matter, however in the future I do plan to move and that will become more of an issue. One thing I have never liked is when Sabnzb will be Unraring a file, it seems to slow down Plex. A lot. If I'm trying to navigate Plex and Sab is unraring a 40GB file, Plex will become slow, for a long time. So, would it be better to have Plex on Unraid with 3 cores with Sab on the VM, or would it be better being on the VM and having Sab on Unraid?

3 - Sab performance on 1 core. So, downloading a 40GB Blu Ray is great, but when I download and then Unrar it, it'll take awhile to unrar. (Never actually sat and watched how long). How long would it take to unrar a 40-80GB file on one core?

4 - RAM. Simple enough. I have 8GB. If I VM, will I need more?

I'm not quite sure what problems you're having that need a "Fully functional OS"  Personally I manage everything perfectly well without any windows computers at all.

Might be helpful to state what you're trying to solve with this approach, or is it just that you're more familiar with Windows?

1) VMs are fairly sensitive to the performance of the drive the vdisk is stored on - I'd put it on the SSD.

2 & 3) It sounds like you'd like a powerful unRAID system, and a powerful Windows VM.  So, how about splitting the vCPUs 4 and 4?  It's all you've got...

4) You need more RAM, 16GB would do it unless you want a Windows VM with more than 6-8GB.

Ah, I was drunk when I wrote this up. I like the idea of having a fully functional OS, not that I need it. I just like the idea...

But, I've changed my mind, sort of. I wouldn't want to split the cores, doing so will decrease performance for Plex. Which, I don't want to do.

So...

I currently have a HTPC using some low power i7 in a fanless chassis, it's a few generations old. Doesn't support 4K. Unless I put in a GPU, which would mean a new case, power supply and then it wouldn't be fanless anymore. Essentially when I get around to buying a 4K TV, it'll become redundant.

So I think I'm going to just use that as a separate server.

When I'm downloading with Sabnzb at the minute, if it's Unraring a large file it'll slow down Plex (playback is normally fine, it's just navigating the menus slows down to a halt).

I'm going to be downloading 4K, files can be 80GB+ for a remux, so I've wanted to separate the two for awhile.

Just need to figure out temp storage now though for the temp downloads before everything is copied to the Unraid server. A friend built it, and I bought it from him when he had no use for it. I'm sure it only has a 250GB SSD.