WiFi with unRAID

Hi,

I want to build an unRAID Server and I need to get it working via WiFi.

I know its the best and im aware of all the Problems WiFi may has.

I dont care about your personal Preferences on this topic.

(Dont want to sound rude but I need to get it working like this)

Any solution

Thanks!

You might want to have a look at Powerline adapters.  Here is a link to a typical one (and it might not be the best choice available as I do not use one):

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-Mbps-Gigabit/dp/B01929ESG6/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1493040819&sr=1-4&keywords=powerline+adapter

Read the reviews for several models and pick the one you would feel most comfortable with.  No solution to your problem is not totally without issues but powerline adapters are probably a better solution for distributing content from your unRAID server to other wireless devices in your home than an all-wireless network.  I have heard that (if you are in the USA) if you can keep them on the same 110 volt leg, you will have the best odds of not having any issues.  Also try to minimize the number of RF filters on your powerlines inside of your house.  And all UPS have RF filters in them...

Some of the new 'mesh' WiFi adapters for pervasive WiFi in home networks look like they can provide better throughput than the Powerline adapters.    Since the adapters include Ethernet ports the unRAID server could be plugged into one of those ports.

i would be interested to see if anyone has practical experience of the throughput of one of these 'mesh' style WiFi networks vs Powerline.    I currently use Powerline but have been think of switching to get higher performance.

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

Some of the new 'mesh' WiFi adapters for pervasive WiFi in home networks look like they can provide better throughput than the Powerline adapters.    Since the adapters include Ethernet ports the unRAID server could be plugged into one of those ports.

i would be interested to see if anyone has practical experience of the throughput of one of these 'mesh' style WiFi networks vs Powerline.    I currently use Powerline but have been think of switching to get higher performance.

I've tried various generations of powerline and I always end up going back to wi-fi for situations where I can't run ethernet.  Most recently I used 2 unifi APs in uplink mode and the performance blew away powerline. 

6 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Easiest way would be to use an access point that supports wireless client mode.

A cheaper alternative.  When I first built my server 6 months ago I used a TP-Link RE580D which performed very well and better than powerline.