[SOLVED] Transfer files between two unraid servers slow

I set up a new unraid server with 2 Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8TB drives for parity and 6 WD Red 8TB drives for the array. I am trying to transfer about 5TB worth of files to the new server but no matter what I do I can't seem to get past 40MB/s.

- Multiple ways via command line - Max 35MB/s, Average 15-20MB/s

- SMB from client machine mac - Max 25MB/s, Average 15MB/s

- SMB from client machine windows - Max 40MB/s, Average 10MB/s

- Krusader GUI from old unraid server - Max 42MB/s, Average 38-40MB/s

- Krusader GUI from new unraid server - Max 35MB/s, Average 29-31MB/s

I know it is not my network as I have gigabit internet and can easily download torrents 60+MB/s average. I've tried both writing to a cache ssd, and also to the array with turbo write enabled, which did not raise the speeds at all.

How do you guys get 100+MB/s transfer speeds?

Edited by TBSCamCity
11 minutes ago, TBSCamCity said:

How do you guys get 100+MB/s transfer speeds?

Enable turbo write mode (aka reconstruct write mode) within settings - disk settings.  What you're seeing is basically normal for insanely huge amounts of data going to a parity protected disk.  Turbo write should get you a lot closer to 100MB/s

Just now, Squid said:

Enable turbo write mode (aka reconstruct write mode) within settings - disk settings.  What you're seeing is basically normal for insanely huge amounts of data going to a parity protected disk.  Turbo write should get you a lot closer to 100MB/s

Thanks for the response but as I said in the original post I've tried that already. Didn't improve the performance at all. I also tried to write to a cache disk.

Download torrents 60+MB/s average O.o, really MB/s not mb/s ?

If I am correct, the faster way will be a client use SMB transfer between 2 unRAID, it is not hard to hit 100MB/s for big file transfer. Does you enable jumbo frame ?

I running 10Gb network, unRAID can easy handle 200MB/s+

2 hours ago, Benson said:

Download torrents 60+MB/s average O.o, really MB/s not mb/s ?

If I am correct, the faster way will be a client use SMB transfer between 2 unRAID, it is not hard to hit 100MB/s for big file transfer. Does you enable jumbo frame ?

I running 10Gb network, unRAID can easy handle 200MB/s+

Yeah I know I'm lucky. I can download torrents with lots of seeders at easily 60+ MB/s not mb/s. I do know the difference. I have a gigabit Internet connection. I also use Usenet and get over 100 MB/s. 

How do I enable jumbo frames? I haven't seen anything about that. My current best solution is to directly transfer between two unraid servers via SMB with about 40 MB/s. This just isn't acceptable with the amount of days I need to move. 

Sorry, I was going to add to the post and forgot, mondays :(

on tower1:

mkdir /x
mount //tower2/<share> /x -o user=nobody
time cp /x/path/to/big/file /dev/null
umount /x

In the end divide total size of the file by "real" time to get transfer rate.

hint: 1st run will be limited by read speed of tower2, if it has enough RAM to cache the entire file you can run it again with the same file to get max network speed, from ram to ram.

20 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Sorry, I was going to add to the post and forgot, mondays :(

on tower1:

mkdir /x
mount //tower2/<share> /x -o user=nobody
time cp /x/path/to/big/file /dev/null
umount /x

In the end divide total size of the file by "real" time to get transfer rate.

hint: 1st run will be limited by read speed of tower2, if it has enough RAM to cache the entire file you can run it again with the same file to get max network speed, from ram to ram.

I will try this when I get home thanks. I have 48GB Ram in the server I'm transferring from and 192GB in the one I'm transferring to so I should have plenty haha.

1 hour ago, TBSCamCity said:

I will try this when I get home thanks. I have 48GB Ram in the server I'm transferring from and 192GB in the one I'm transferring to so I should have plenty haha.

Averaged 95.48MB/s with this lol. Not sure why SMB performance is so low... I guess I will just cp things from now on. I would prefer to use a GUI just so that I can see what's going on but it's no big deal really. The weird thing is I used scp before and was not getting anywhere near these speeds, but when I mount it then cp it is much higher.

5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That test uses SMB (Samba).

Well then I'm really lost. No matter what GUI programs I've used (Krusador directly on either unraid machine, Mac Finder, Ultracopier, Windows box, etc.) it won't break 40MB/s

While using cp my network interface is sitting just under 800mb/s, while with anything else it doesn't ever make it above 350mb/s

Edited by TBSCamCity
3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

If you're copying with another computer in the middle it will always be slower.

Yes I do agree there, however I tried using Krusador docker directly on the unraid box and got exactly 40MB/s. Didn't think there would be so much overhead with that. Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...