After the lowdown on Server Racks

extrobe

Hi, wonder if anyone can guide me a little.

Just bought my first 2u rack server, for my first unRaid build.

At the moment, it doesn't have a home, so looking at what rack options I have - but it's a bit of a minefield out there, so not really sure what I'm looking for.

Capacity

I do know I'm after something fairly small - max 18u, but 10-12 is probably about the ideal. (I have a couple of desktops to stick in there, and then just switches, routers etc).

Wife would have a hissy-fit it a huge 40u turned up (treading on thin ice at is it ;) )

Width

Most racks advertise themselves as being 19in wide. My server is 17.3in wide (excluding ears) - is '19in' the standard width, designed to accommodate 17.3in wide chassis?

Depth

This is where I get a little muddled. It seems every rack has a different depth.

My server in about 26in deep (excluding room for cabling at the rear)

I presume that if I wanted something fully enclosed, I'd need one at least 30in deep, I presume, but don't seem to find that many sub-20u racks that deep.

Does an enclosed one help with noise much? I presume that an enclosed one has to be cooled itself - would the noise from this be much/any better than from one rack server (which I'm noise-optimizing anyway)?

If I instead when for an 'open' rack, could I then have something shallower and allow it to stick out the rear?

eg, this one is open framed, but only 19in deep.

I really like this idea of this one, but not yet found something similar in the UK - though I think part of the problem is not really know what I'm searching for at the moment! 

Thanks for any pointers!

I just picked up this used 12U rack from a guy for $250, its kind of like the one in this link however I think mine is an older model.

https://www.startech.com/ca/Server-Management/Racks/15U-Enclosed-Cabinet-Plexiglass-Front-Door~2636CABINET

Not sure what the market is like in the UK but I am sure you should be able to find something on the used market, craigslist maybe? Finding something for around 100 quid though might be a real challenge though.

ok, so this feels like the sort of thing that might work.

Now just to try and find one nearer the £100 mark 

Have a look at allmetalparts.co.uk, they have the open front/back DJ type racks.

I have used them for rack shelves and the quality/price is good albeit theyre a bit on the heavy side