[Resolved] Current Pending Sector on cache drive

I have a current pending sector on my cache drive, and it's caused all drives to be mounted read-only.

It's probably about time to replace that little Samsung Spinpoint, but I'd like to be able to write to my system before I start doing that. Also, if someone would kindly point me to the directions for replacing a cache drive (with docker configs), I'm sure I'll be making use of them sooner rather than later.

Diagnostics & Smart report attached.

nas-smart-20170422-1648.zip

nas-diagnostics-20170422-1541.zip

Edited by FreeMan
5 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

Will changing all my shares to not use the cache enable write status on them? If not, how do I go about doing so?

Please read the entire post I linked all the way to the end and see if you can understand what it is doing and why. Your question is irrelevant.

OK, I understand what you are asking.

Because the current cache disk is corrupt, it has been made read-only to prevent further corruption. The user shares that are set to use cache are effectively read-only because the cache disk is.

It's possible the procedure will not work to get everything off cache and then back on again because it may be that some of the files on cache cannot be read due to corruption.

In any case, if you replace cache the new disk's filesystem will not be corrupt, so it won't be read-only. Whether all the files can be saved from the original cache remains to be seen.

Whew! I was just about to post what might have been considered slightly ranty. Thanks for saving me!!!  (there was an apology at the end... :) )

A) it will be tomorrow at best before I get a replacement cache drive, and

B) ALL of my disks are currently mounted read-only, so the mover cannot move files off the cache.

I would like to get all the rest of the disks re-mounted read/write, then run the mover to get everything off the cache drive in case it decides to completely give up and because I've got other files that I need to put on my server. I'll take the non-cached write performance hit for now to get them on there.

What do I need to do to enable read/write on all disks (other than the cache which I probably really want to be read-only at the moment)?

I am running CA Backup, so I hope that all my docker configs will be OK. There are files in the CAAppdataBackup directory on the cache drive, so the most recent backup could be gone, but I don't change things very often...

Actually, I just realized I got my son a 240GB PNY CS1311 SSD for Christmas that he's never installed in his machine. (He's also got memory and a new sound card sitting on his desk from Christmas. He's going to be a CS major when he starts college in the fall, but shows almost no interest in computers - pray for him!)

I will get this drive installed this evening (unless it's highly recommended against this model for unRAID use), but that still leaves me with the inability to write to any drive in the system.

Thanks, johnnie, For confirmation, from the FAQ it looks like I want to run

btrfs check --repair /dev/sdX1

Where sdX1 = my cache drive.

To be sure I understand what's going on (instead of just blindly following instructions without learning anything)... I want the --repair option because that should force btrfs to move the data from the pending sector to somewhere else on the disk, correct?

Sigh... I figured there was nothing critical on the cache drive, so... just invoke the mover! Easy peasy, right?

Bad call. It's read-only again and, of course, I can't stop the array because the mover is still running.Yes, I know, I ignored instructions... :(

root     19154     1  0 18:46 ?        00:00:00 /bin/bash /usr/local/sbin/mover
root     20442 17537  0 19:28 pts/0    00:00:00 grep mover

Can I "kill -9 19154" to kill the mover without doing terminal damage?

If so, I'll follow up with another run of reiserfsck --check, then I'll carefully move one. file. at. a. time. until everything's moved off.

Edited by FreeMan
remove duplicate text

Money!

shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
mover stopped

that was much easier, and I'm sure cleaner... Thanks!

I promise to follow instructions this time, but at least I learned something! :)

Interesting that the results are notably different:

###########
reiserfsck --check started at Sat Apr 22 19:43:50 2017
###########
Replaying journal: Done.
Reiserfs journal '/dev/sdk1' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed
Checking internal tree..  finished
Comparing bitmaps..finished
Checking Semantic tree:
finished
No corruptions found
There are on the filesystem:
        Leaves 28737
        Internal nodes 181
        Directories 1810
        Other files 35026
        Data block pointers 24520941 (5557935 of them are zero)
        Safe links 0
###########
reiserfsck finished at Sat Apr 22 19:45:36 2017
###########

Carefully, patiently, slowly upward and onward.

What is the current preferred format for cache drives?

I've only got the one at this time, and I'm not really planning on a second, but that may change. I believe reiserfs is not recommended for anything at this point. I believe that btrfs is recommended for cache, especially if one will be moving to multiple cache drives. Is this correct?