Memory for super micro boards

does anyone suggest a particular brand of memory for supermicro boards?  I bought 8gb of ram Hyper X and I do not think the MB likes it.  I am not posting, getting any type of video etc... when the RAM is loaded on the MB i get no beeps from the MB either.  When I take the RAM out I get the 5 beeps to indicate a RAM issue.

Edited by fschris

Always, always, always buy the memory that SuperMicro has tested and recommends.  Usually its Samsung and Hynix.  If you are willing to fork out the $$$ for an X11 SuperMicro board, do not cheap out on the RAM.

SuperMicro has tested this 8GB non-ECC RAM:

SMC Module Part # Module Manufacturer Module Manufacturer Part # DRAM Component Vendor DRAM Component Part # # of Ranks RoHS Compliance Profile

MEM-DR480L-HL01-UN24
Hynix HMA81GU6AFR8N-UH Hynix H5AN8G8NAFR 1 RoHS Low Profile

I have a whole rack full of servers with Supermicro boards. Seriously only use memory on their capability list. Supermicro server boards are very picky about everything but when you use known compatible products I have noticed they are some of the most stable boards out there. I only use Samsung and Hynix ECC Ram.

On 4/24/2017 at 5:35 PM, fschris said:

So few options to choose from.  Why is super micro boards so picky?

It's not just Supermicro boards, it's all server boards to be honest. It's just that most of us here use Supermicro since they are indeed so reliable and also readily available.

Server boards are just built for Stability and Reliability above all else. The sacrifice for that is the limited amount of supported hardware.

• Upvote 1