Best practice for disk replacement

Hey all-

Got a new 4tb disk to replace an aging 2tb drive in the array.  Haven't replaced a disk yet, I'm unsure about the best way to proceed. Is it recommended to use the unBalance plugin to move the data off the disk before proceeding?  Or just swap it and let it use the parity disk to rebuild?  If I go that route, I assume I should manually start a parity check just before replacement?

Also, I'm not sure I understand purpose of the preclear plugin - do I need to preclear the disk before installing?  It's a brand new disk, never used.

I appreciate any guidance you can offer

I assume your parity drive is at least 4TB?

you can just swap the disk in and let unRAID build its contents from the combination of the other disks plus parity.   If you are not sure of the state of your parity then you should run a check first, but if you think parity is OK this is not required.   I would suggest you keep the old disk around untouched 3until you are happy the 4TB has been rebuilt with the data intact.

you do not NEED to run pre-clear first when it is replacing an existing disk.    The reason you might want to run it is as a confidence check on the new drive before you trust data to it.