WD Red 8TB Helium (EasyStore) - $199.99

1 minute ago, CyberSkulls said:

I'm honestly not sure. All of the WD 8TB drives look identical to me. I don't know this but it wouldn't shock me if all the drives were 100% the same drive with slightly changed firmware and whatever color label WD felt like printing that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah who knows lol. Either way I'm commited to them now! With the prices lately I'm running all the Reds!

Yeah who knows lol. Either way I'm commited to them now! With the prices lately I'm running all the Reds!

I got tired of everyone posting specs saying this color is designed for this and that color is designed for that and blah blah blah. I bought (16) 2TB Blues to run along side my 50+ 2TB Reds and wouldn't ya know it, same exact performance, same exact temperate, even the same exact model number on the PCB. Granted TLER is off in the firmware but I don't use it anyway, even on my Reds. So the three differences I was able to come up with is: different model number, different color label, and about 20% cheaper at the time.

So I came to the conclusion that as long as I don't talk about it in front of the drives, they don't know they are different and they will happily store data along side their siblings :)

2 minutes ago, CyberSkulls said:

I got tired of everyone posting specs saying this color is designed for this and that color is designed for that and blah blah blah. I bought (16) 2TB Blues to run along side my 50+ 2TB Reds and wouldn't ya know it, same exact performance, same exact temperate, even the same exact model number on the PCB. Granted TLER is off in the firmware but I don't use it anyway, even on my Reds. So the three differences I was able to come up with is: different model number, different color label, and about 20% cheaper at the time.

So I came to the conclusion that as long as I don't talk about it in front of the drives, they don't know they are different and they will happily store data along side their siblings :)

That really is the key though... While you're talking to the Blues pretend like all the others are Blues and while you're talking to the Reds pretend like all the others are Reds. As long as you're the only one that knows the truth then it will stay that way forever... At least that's been my experience!

10 hours ago, HellDiverUK said:

The WD80EZZX are decent drives, I shucked 3 of them out of MyBook enclosures a good while ago.  No problems with them apart from a constant ticking, which I assume is head patrolling. 

Hope so because I just got 10 up and running chugging away 24/7 getting heavy use right now due to writing about 50TB to my array. Also there's no way I can hear any ticking over the sound of my 2U servers lol so I'm liking them so far.

Edit: Didn't realize you meant the older MyBook's, I shucked a bunch of WD80EFZX, which are the current gen Red 8TB's. 

Edited by TBSCamCity
8 hours ago, TBSCamCity said:

Hope so because I just got 10 up and running chugging away 24/7 getting heavy use right now due to writing about 50TB to my array. Also there's no way I can hear any ticking over the sound of my 2U servers lol so I'm liking them so far.

Edit: Didn't realize you meant the older MyBook's, I shucked a bunch of WD80EFZX, which are the current gen Red 8TB's. 

One thing that turned me off of WD drives was the aggressive head parking. One of the SMART attributes is called Load_Cycle_Count, and WD drives notoriously ran this attribute to extremely high levels very quickly. Perhaps this is the source of the clicking. Never saw a drive that failed due to over parking, but the specs mention a max number, and drives I saw were definitely tracking to hit that number and beyond. There is a way to reconfigure some setting to stop this obnoxious behavior.

One thing unique about the WD drives is their ability to report temperature while the drive is spun down. Never understood why the temperature sensor didn't work on other drives when the disk was spun down. Maybe the power is cut to a large part of the circuitry when in that state. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, bjp999 said:

One thing that turned me off of WD drives was the aggressive head parking. One of the SMART attributes is called Load_Cycle_Count, and WD drives notoriously ran this attribute to extremely high levels very quickly. Perhaps this is the source of the clicking. Never saw a drive that failed due to over parking, but the specs mention a max number, and drives I saw were definitely tracking to hit that number and beyond. There is a way to reconfigure some setting to stop this obnoxious behavior.

One thing unique about the WD drives is their ability to report temperature while the drive is spun down. Never understood why the temperature sensor didn't work on other drives when the disk was spun down. Maybe the power is cut to a large part of the circuitry when in that state. 

Never knew that about the temperature probes. I guess I never noticed because my drives stay spinning all the time. 

Slightly off topic... What would anyone do with 128TB of storage???! I store movies in 720p and 1080... I have collection of about 2,000... Is 4K mainstream yet? My array is 30TB. Is there a lot of 4K content available through Couchpotato? What about TV shows?

What is the average size of a movie in 4K...? 720p in good quality usually weighs in around 5GB.

My thinking was when that stuff is more mainstream, storage will be a lot cheaper... I remember paying $1,000 for a Seagate 1GB SCSI hard drive.

Edited by hernandito

I've got a folder of 4K movies that are averaging 50-60mbps, some over 100mbps. It's only 25 movies or so but they are 50+ gigs a piece. Still not that bad though. 

And yeah by the time it's mainstream we'll have 20+TB drives so it won't be so bad. Heck they're already shipping 14TB drives to partners.

11 minutes ago, BRiT said:

I figure by the time I start into 4K Videos that they'll all be encoded using x265 so they'll use up less space than what the current x264 encodes use.

Yeah those figures I showed above are in x265 lol. Some of my 4k movies are 95GB x265. But they are 10bit HDR so...

• Upvote 1