WD Red 8TB Helium (EasyStore) - $199.99

23 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

Just FYI - these drives are Helium filled. Sounds cool but I'd be concerned about it leaking out over time.

Interesting thread for those considering them.

I also wonder the same, they have a new SMART attribute:

22 Helium_Level            0x0023   100   100   025    Pre-fail  Always       -       100

Users that have these for a while can check if it's still at 100.

• Upvote 1

So update on those BB 8TB Externals for $199...

Just picked up two of these from Best Buy. They are indeed WD Red Helium drives inside. Also this is interesting to note. The serial number for the external enclosure is exactly the same as the serial number for the drive... I wonder if that means that you can just RMA the drive. I just registered them on WD and they say two years left on the warranty but there is no picture like their usually is so I don't know if it registered the enclosure or the drive. Well they are both the same serial so I don't know how they do it.

20170421_175531.jpg

20170421_181419.jpg

Just picked up two of these from Best Buy. They are indeed WD Red Helium drives inside. Also this is interesting to note. The serial number for the external enclosure is exactly the same as the serial number for the drive... I wonder if that means that you can just RMA the drive. I just registered them on WD and they say two years left on the warranty but there is no picture like their usually is so I don't know if it registered the enclosure or the drive. Well they are both the same serial so I don't know how they do it.

20170421_175531.jpg

20170421_181419.jpg

My understanding is that you will have to carefully put them back in the enclosure to RMA for all the externals with the exception of the Duo's which maintain the warranty outside the enclosure. So those drives can be sent in like a normal drive.

Take that all with a grain of salt as I haven't had to RMA one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, CyberSkulls said:

My understanding is that you will have to carefully put them back in the enclosure to RMA for all the externals with the exception of the Duo's which maintain the warranty outside the enclosure. So those drives can be sent in like a normal drive.

Take that all with a grain of salt as I haven't had to RMA one yet.

Thanks that's what I figured, but seeing that both had the same serial number made me wonder. I already have 4 WD Reds from two Duo's. They have been running great but figured I had to get in on a couple more for $199. Honestly the enclosure is easy to get off and it doesn't break any tabs. I track where all the drives come from so it's easy to put back if needed.

Thanks that's what I figured, but seeing that both had the same serial number made me wonder. I already have 4 WD Reds from two Duo's. They have been running great but figured I had to get in on a couple more for $199. Honestly the enclosure is easy to get off and it doesn't break any tabs. I track where all the drives come from so it's easy to put back if needed.

I don't blame ya at all. If ya need more 8TB drives, and you happen to be a Plex Pass subscriber, or a student with a .edu email, they have a 20% off coupon code for the WD store. I bought 6 more 16TB Duos for $400/EA so $200/Drive, 2YR warranty and no shucking required.

And no I'm not saying I got a better or worse deal than you since I also have some WD 8TB drives liberated from their external shells. I didn't care about the tabs once they tested good, I broke them open and set them free :)

57 minutes ago, CyberSkulls said:

I don't blame ya at all. If ya need more 8TB drives, and you happen to be a Plex Pass subscriber, or a student with a .edu email, they have a 20% off coupon code for the WD store. I bought 6 more 16TB Duos for $400/EA so $200/Drive, 2YR warranty and no shucking required.

And no I'm not saying I got a better or worse deal than you since I also have some WD 8TB drives liberated from their external shells. I didn't care about the tabs once they tested good, I broke them open and set them free :)

Yeah I saw that deal but they are sold out... Still any way you look at it $200 for 8TB Nas drive is pretty sweet.

Yeah I saw that deal but they are sold out... Still any way you look at it $200 for 8TB Nas drive is pretty sweet.

After I wrote that I have since went to my local Best Buy and bought the two they had plus ordered 9 more from their website.

Tried to be gentle with the enclosure, it bit my finger, i was bleeding, I got pissed, and needless to say they are already in my chassis.

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, CyberSkulls said:

After I wrote that I have since went to my local Best Buy and bought the two they had plus ordered 9 more from their website.

Tried to be gentle with the enclosure, it bit my finger, i was bleeding, I got pissed, and needless to say they are already in my chassis.

Haha yeah the enclosure was kinda hard at first but once I got it the first time it wasn't bad after that. I haven't been to best buy in a long time but this deal is so good lol. 

Edited by TBSCamCity
Haha yeah the enclosure was kinda hard at first but once I got it the first time it wasn't bad after that. I haven't been to best buy in a long time but this deal is so good lol. 

I feel ya. It's been so long for me since I had been there that the old store closed, and they built a new one. Since Amazon and Newegg came along so many years ago, I rarely go into a store. But ya, for a deal like this I will.

They are up to $249.99 now lol. I guess they caught on.

I truly wonder how many were sold over the weekend between the few forums I've read this on. I ended up with 11 of them. Well 2 from the retail store and 3 orders of 3 shipped out this morning. Add that to the (6) 16TB Duos I got last week, so (12) more 8TB Reds, and holy data storage Batman!!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, CyberSkulls said:

I truly wonder how many were sold over the weekend between the few forums I've read this on. I ended up with 11 of them. Well 2 from the retail store and 3 orders of 3 shipped out this morning. Add that to the (6) 16TB Duos I got last week, so (12) more 8TB Reds, and holy data storage Batman!!

I ended up buying (4) of the Easystores for $179.99/each, and (2) 16TB Duos for $499.99/each so I ended up with (8) 8TB Reds. I'm happy!

Holy unlimited budget Batman! 23 8TB reds at an average of $190 each. $4370 just on drives and 184TB of storage. I have no words - and even less money!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Haha. I bought (3) of the white label 8TB drives from Amazon as well, so I snagged a total of (26) 8TB drives in less than a week.

Unfortunately the Duos were $200/drive after the plex 20% coupon from the WD Store but have a 2 year warranty outside of the enclosure so I was happy with that purchase.

I spent something like $5,400 on 8TB drives last week. Not an unlimited budget by any means as I had sold off some of my 2TB drives already to help fund this purchase and will recoup the rest of that cost by selling off the rest of my 2TB Drives. So although I spent a bunch of money, I didn't gain any more space per say, just reduced my drive count from well over 100 drives and multiple big chassis down to 26 drives.

5 minutes ago, CyberSkulls said:

Haha. I bought (3) of the white label 8TB drives from Amazon as well, so I snagged a total of (26) 8TB drives in less than a week.

Unfortunately the Duos were $200/drive after the plex 20% coupon from the WD Store but have a 2 year warranty outside of the enclosure so I was happy with that purchase.

I spent something like $5,400 on 8TB drives last week. Not an unlimited budget by any means as I had sold off some of my 2TB drives already to help fund this purchase and will recoup the rest of that cost by selling off the rest of my 2TB Drives. So although I spent a bunch of money, I didn't gain any more space per say, just reduced my drive count from well over 100 drives and multiple big chassis down to 26 drives.

What WL 8TB drives did you buy? I haven't seen them. I've been running (12) WL 2TB Enterprise drives for years and love them! Only ever had 1 fail and they replaced it free of charge.

What WL 8TB drives did you buy? I haven't seen them. I've been running (12) WL 2TB Enterprise drives for years and love them! Only ever had 1 fail and they replaced it free of charge.

They aren't sold retail. They come in the 8TB My Book. It's a white label WD 8TB, Model # WD80EZZX.

Are those the drives leftover from the HGST merger that some people were saying were rebranded HGST drives?

I'm honestly not sure. All of the WD 8TB drives look identical to me. I don't know this but it wouldn't shock me if all the drives were 100% the same drive with slightly changed firmware and whatever color label WD felt like printing that day.