Server unresponsive, now multiple errors

What does upgrading the SASLP bios improve/solve?

That would be for minor bug fixes etc.

The 2TB drive size limit is due to the 64bit LBA boundary and is a hardware restriction in the card, which cannot be solved with a firmware update.

Like Jonnie I strongly recommend the LSI2008 based cards he listed, as they are cheap and come in configurations that suit the server and case layout you may require.

Crossflashing takes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 hours ago, miniwalks said:

That would be for minor bug fixes etc.

The 2TB drive size limit is due to the 64bit LBA boundary and is a hardware restriction in the card, which cannot be solved with a firmware update.

Like Jonnie I strongly recommend the LSI2008 based cards he listed, as they are cheap and come in configurations that suit the server and case layout you may require.

Crossflashing takes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go on what does it take :-)

2Tb Drive limit? How come I have been running 3Tb drives for years?

I have found something odd, if you boot with card 1 in the top slot and card 2 in the bottom then it reports the old SASLP bios for both cards but if you swap them it reports the latest bios for both cards..

I have got a H200, Crossflashed it and installed it replacing the faulty(?) SASLP card leaving another SASLP card in the system and the new Dell H200.

I started the server and started a read check to monitor system stability and I could not see any read errors like before. However within an hour or so I lost connection to the server again (from Windows). Console is still responsive and I can telnet in just no SMB, Network connection. How could I tell if the read check was still going on?

At this point I cannot get to the point of doing a needed parity check etc.

Help!

It locked again this morning, whilst rebuilding parity, and I have typed Diagnostics at the console. It states it is gathering information but never completes.

However I was running it in troubleshooting mode (from the add on Fix Common Problems) and have attached the latest diagnostics that it saved before crashing, I hope that this helps in the diagnosis.

tower-diagnostics-20170429-1033.zip

reiserfsck 3.6.24

Will check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/md5
and will fix what can be fixed without --rebuild-tree
Will put log info to 'stdout'
###########
reiserfsck --fix-fixable started at Sun Apr 30 15:17:19 2017
###########
Replaying journal: 
Replaying journal: Done.
Reiserfs journal '/dev/md5' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed
Checking internal tree..  finished
Comparing bitmaps..Checking Semantic tree:
finished
No corruptions found
There are on the filesystem:
	Leaves 466887
	Internal nodes 2868
	Directories 2554
	Other files 27096
	Data block pointers 469996647 (1424363 of them are zero)
	Safe links 0
###########
reiserfsck finished at Sun Apr 30 15:45:58 2017
###########
vpf-10630: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs. Will be fixed later.

I have found a couple of disks with a corruption that is says can be fixed with "--fix-fixable", which I ran and got the above output.

Should I be worried about the last line?

Thanks for the help. 

I have now managed to get the server up and running and it has passed the parity test. I am just going to leave it in troubleshooting mode for a while to see how it gets on.

Once again thanks for the help.

On 29/04/2017 at 8:02 PM, johnnie.black said:

or better yet convert all of them to XFS.

There are several reports of unresponsive v6 servers with reiserfs disks, problem is fixed by converting all disks to XFS, even if it's not the problem I recommend converting anyway as reiser is a dying filesystem, badly maintained and with terrible performance in certain situations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-5 at 10:24 PM, ridley said:

I have been transferring data from one drive to another to change from ReiserFS to XFS and I think it has finished but now the server has locked and will not reboot. So if I hard reboot it will do a parity check again.

I have looked at the console and it is giving an "Out of Memory error 1620 SMBD" is there a way of killing that process so I can try to soft reboot.

Any idea what the problem is there?