How to Check open PORTs on VPN?

Hello,

I have OpenVPN client connected (successfully) , but im still struggling with managing if ports are open or not (to become Active seeder).

How can i check if my VPN provider has all ports open or which are open at the moment?

Had some other provider before - when i did "Test port" in Transmission all was ok.

With the 2nd provider - he said that he open them , but "Test port" in Transmission says unable to connect, so i need to test/check it somehow to let the provider know...

Any idea how can i test it or setup firewall (if there is a block or so)

Thanks

1. well, im aware of that - but thats not the question :)

anyway - provider stated they open them on request , i did request and they told me they are open, but seems like they arent,

Need to check it...

2. also with other vpn provider - after i enter the IP adress i get from VPN - unraid windows pops up - so i would like to control in unraid what is exposed and what is not

Edited by killeriq

Hmm...

So using plugin - OpenVPN for VPN is not recommended?

binhexes vpn enabled dockers  = means to install Transmission VPN docker?

What should i do with other services like Nextcloud or anything which is acting as Web Server and doesnt have VPN docker ready?

Or can you point me at right topic if possible?

-----

My issue is that im in Local LAN and only 4 ports open to the internet, no public IP. If i ask my provider for Public IP i have to pay for it, so ill be visible.

with VPN provider - i get Public IP or fwd ports for all my needs and the connection is also encrypted (for the same price i would pay for the Public IP to my internet provider), but as you mentioned this way i dont have any protection on incoming ports.

Maybe last option is to configure OpenVPN client on my Router - so all devices in my network will go via the VPN - but probably ill hit the same problem as with unRAID that all incoming ports will be exposed, or perhaps the router settings/firewall will apply to the VPN - not sure

15 minutes ago, killeriq said:

So using plugin - OpenVPN for VPN is not recommended?

Depends on the endpoint. You would use the client plugin to connect to a OpenVPN server on another one of your machines or a router on a WAN network you control to connect the two networks. You don't want to connect to an unfirewalled connection in the wild.

If you set up the VPN client on your router, you should be able to put it on the WAN side of the router, so all your normal router protections are in place.

I'm not sure why you would want nextcloud going through a vpn, if it's the dynamic dns you are concerned about, there are solutions laid out in the letsencrypt nginx webserver thread.

• 5 months later...