Docker Image Suddenly Filling Completely and Repeatedly

This morning my server suddenly developed a problem where the docker image fills completely to 100% very rapidly.  I woke this morning and Plex wasn't working properly so when I logged into the Unraid server I saw a ton of notifications saying Docker image was 80% filled, 81% filled, 82% filled, etc. all the way up to 100%.  Each notification was only minutes apart. I didn't know what was causing the issue, so I just went ahead and increased the image size from 10Gb to 15Gb.  I also upgraded to the latest unraid version (looking for version number but can't find it yet).  Everything went back to working normally.  Then, later today the same problem occurred with Plex so I checked the server again and it was filled!  At this point I attempted to move some files out of the docker image to the user shares.  My theory was that the mobile phone uploads to Plex were being stored in the docker image (I don't know if this is actually true) and so I moved those files to the media user shares.  But that didn't make the docker image usage budge.  What do I do now?  Can I tell what is taking up so much space and so quickly?  Thanks.

tower-diagnostics-20170415-1943.zip

Something is filling docker.img.  It will be one of your docker containers at fault.  Diagnostics are useless largely in this circumstance.  It will be something you've not got configured quite right, but without knowing what containers you're using it's impossible to say.  

To narrow it down, think of things the containers are doing that may create/copy files and try running some of those tasks, uploading/downloading/transcoding and watch what happens to the docker.img utilisation.

• Upvote 1

Hmm, ok.  I've only got 3 dockers installed: Plex, CrashPlan, and TVheadend.  But TVheadend is disabled and has been for a long time.  CrashPlan shouldn't be taking up any space because it's just a file backup service.  So it must be Plex.  I haven't changed any settings in Plex, but I have upgraded it recently.  Maybe it's got some sort of new feature that is taking up a lot of space...

I think I figured it out (operations are currently being done so we will have to wait and see).  Over the weekend someone copied 15Gb of files onto my desktop that I forgot about.  I have Crashplan backing up my desktop onto the server.  So it was probably Crashplan causing the problem.  I'm moving the files now and then will get Crashplan to update and see what happens.  Thanks for the hints, I'll let you know if it doesn't work.

I moved the files, but now I can't get any dockers to run.  When I go to the docker tab nothing ever loads, it just shows a blank screen.  Under Settings > Docker it says "status: stopped".  I restarted the server but nothing changed.

Can I delete my docker image?  What will that lose?  I don't care if it loses the Crashplan backups from my desktop because I can always just back those files up again.

Just now, zero_koop said:

I moved the files, but now I can't get any dockers to run.  When I go to the docker tab nothing ever loads, it just shows a blank screen.  Under Settings > Docker it says "status: stopped".  I restarted the server but nothing changed.

Can I delete my docker image?  What will that lose?  I don't care if it loses the Crashplan backups from my desktop because I can always just back those files up again.

TLDR: You won't lose a thing

followed by

• Upvote 1

Thanks Squid.  The dockers are up and running now.  So far so good.  I scaled the docker image back to 10gb just to see what it did and right now it's sitting at 42% usage after running my desktop Crashplan backup (3Gb of files) and setting up Plex (which must use about another 1Gb of the docker image).  I didn't see any way to configure Crashplan to not use the docker itself for backups that use the server as the destination, so I'll just need to make sure my desktop backup files never exceed the docker image size.

As you know ... Your crashpIan is completely setup wrong. I suggest posting in the Crashplan support thread for help.

Specifically...

Map /data (or /mnt) on the container side to /mnt on the host side.  Note that whatever path you input on the container side will be the path you access from within the CrashPlan app.

Edited by BRiT
  • Upvote 1