Seagate 8TB External (STEB8000100) - $179.99

The one I was looking at   was sold by Amazon Export Sales LLC

It says this on the shipping page

AmazonGlobal makes international shipping easy by calculating import fees at checkout, as well as clearing customs for you. In addition, you have the visibility to track your packages door-to-door. Learn more

On the order confirmation page is says no import tax is due

9 minutes ago, m0t0k0 said:

The one I was looking at   was sold by Amazon Export Sales LLC

It says this on the shipping page

AmazonGlobal makes international shipping easy by calculating import fees at checkout, as well as clearing customs for you. In addition, you have the visibility to track your packages door-to-door. Learn more

On the order confirmation page is says no import tax is due

Mine says something a little different...

I get the same message about shipping & calculating fees.

On the confirmation page, it says it estimates no tax "Estimated tax to be collected: $0"

However, just below the total, it then says 

Please note that your country may charge import duties, taxes and fees that you may have to pay ahead of delivery

So you may get lucky, but I think it's far from guaranteed.

Tempted to give it a go, but I'm not desperate, so may pass for now.

Edited by extrobe
10 hours ago, Smitty2k1 said:

My 8TB is about 30% precleared. Max temp of 53 so far (prrclearing external via usb3)

Too hot! Blow a fan on the external case while it is preclearing! I shuck mine prior to preclearing. If may make warranty service more difficult, but doesn't preclear them in a sweatbox which can reduce the life of the drive.

1 hour ago, bjp999 said:

Too hot! Blow a fan on the external case while it is preclearing! I shuck mine prior to preclearing. If may make warranty service more difficult, but doesn't preclear them in a sweatbox which can reduce the life of the drive.

I'm not too worried about that temp for the 48 hours it will take to preclear

50 minutes ago, Smitty2k1 said:

I'm not too worried about that temp for the 48 hours it will take to preclear

In those 48 hours, you are doing as much I/O on the drive as you might in months of use. I believe that the burn in period is very important to maintain the drive at a healthy temperature.

YMMV, but anyone reading should consider shucking first, or blowing a fan on the preclearing drive to maintain temps under 42C as Cyber has done.

Why risk it?

1 hour ago, BRiT said:

Seagate makes and sells the drive to operate completely within that enclosure so whatever natural temps it hits during that use is well within how it was designed and expected to be used.

That may be true but they are also in the business to sell drives/enclosures. So if a enclosure goes sour after 2 years, they are hoping the customer just buys a new one. Where as in unraid customer is looking for a longer life span from a drive. 

Having a new drive with high temps will only cause a shorter life span in my opinion. I shucked all mine and then pre-cleared with temps no higher than 32. They now are in array with average temp of 27-31. I am hoping these will give me a long life.Same as the drives I replaced which were 5-7 years old and no errors on them. 

5 hours ago, Harro said:

That may be true but they are also in the business to sell drives/enclosures. So if a enclosure goes sour after 2 years, they are hoping the customer just buys a new one. Where as in unraid customer is looking for a longer life span from a drive. 

Having a new drive with high temps will only cause a shorter life span in my opinion. I shucked all mine and then pre-cleared with temps no higher than 32. They now are in array with average temp of 27-31. I am hoping these will give me a long life.Same as the drives I replaced which were 5-7 years old and no errors on them. 

^ This! 

There is a reason the externals only carry a1 year warranty. If you look at the reviews of the external vs the internal, you see that the interval fares much better.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:06 AM, bjp999 said:

And very likely the usb will alter things so when you pull it out, it won't recognize the preclear signature.

I just installed the 3 drives internally on the PERC H310 controller and ran a Verify MBR preclear signature test. All 3 passed and show as verified precleared.

Here's the result of the preclear popups.

############################################################################################################################
#                                                                                                                          #
#                                unRAID Server: verifying Preclear State of '/dev/sdk' .                                   #
#                                 Verifying disk '/dev/sdk' for unRAID's Preclear State.                                   #
#                                                                                                                          #
#   Step 1 of 1 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear MBR:                                                              SUCCESS    #
############################################################################################################################
#                                              Total elapsed time: 0:00:13                                                 #

--> RESULT: SUCCESS! Disk /dev/sdk has been verified precleared!

#                                unRAID Server: verifying Preclear State of '/dev/sdj' .                                   #
#                                 Verifying disk '/dev/sdj' for unRAID's Preclear State.                                   #
#   Step 1 of 1 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear MBR:                                                              SUCCESS    #
#                                              Total elapsed time: 0:00:13                                                 #

--> RESULT: SUCCESS! Disk /dev/sdj has been verified precleared!

#                                unRAID Server: verifying Preclear State of '/dev/sdj' .                                   #
#                                 Verifying disk '/dev/sdj' for unRAID's Preclear State.                                   #

--> RESULT: SUCCESS! Disk /dev/sdj has been verified precleared!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

That's an SMR drive, very similar to the new Archive v3, but with a lower workload rating.

I see, thanks for the reply. I'm still going to use it as my parity drive anyways since my server is mainly for Plex movies and some data archiving.