StarTech.com 2 Port SATA

3 minutes ago, Greygoose said:

So pretty much all Marvell Sata cards wont work with Vitalization turned on ?

Most wont work, sometimes it works with the workaround posted on the linked thread, this is why ATM there's not a recommended 4 port card, since most are Marvell.

For 2 ports use Asmedia, for 8 ports go for LSI, there are also 4 port LSI but usually cost almost the same as an 8 port.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Most wont work, sometimes it works with the workaround posted on the linked thread, this is why ATM there's not a recommended 4 port card, since most are Marvell.

For 2 ports use Asmedia, for 8 ports go for LSI, there are also 4 port LSI but usually cost almost the same as an 8 port.

Thank you.

The 8 Port LSI is too expensive,.

This is the cheapest 2 port i can find

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-PCI-Express-Controller-interface-internal/dp/B00UVJI3IQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1492348598&sr=1-1&keywords=2+port+Asmedia

• Model type: CSL SATA III PCIe card 2.0 Controller/interface card for SATA III / eSATA III (SSD+HDD drives)
  • Interface: PCI-Express 2.0 / chip set: ASMEDIA ASM1061

Thank you.

The 8 Port LSI is too expensive,.

This is the cheapest 2 port i can find
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-PCI-Express-Controller-interface-internal/dp/B00UVJI3IQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1492348598&sr=1-1&keywords=2+port+Asmedia
  • Model type: CSL SATA III PCIe card 2.0 Controller/interface card for SATA III / eSATA III (SSD+HDD drives)
  • Interface: PCI-Express 2.0 / chip set: ASMEDIA ASM1061

That will limit you pretty badly, I would recommend stretching out the budget a bit and getting a M1015 and cross flashing it to IT firmware.

They're $64USD for an 8port which is rock solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
18 hours ago, miniwalks said:

That will limit you pretty badly, I would recommend stretching out the budget a bit and getting a M1015 and cross flashing it to IT firmware.

They're $64USD for an 8port which is rock solid

This?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LSI-9240-8i-8-port-SAS-SATA-LSI00200-Server-RAID-Controller-Card-IBM-M1015-/262312323272?hash=item3d130868c8:g:3H4AAOSwQYZW077-

thanks for the reply

Yep
The IBM M1015 and the Dell H200 and Dell H310 are all basically the same LSI card under the OEM cover.

Just pick which one suits the port layouts you like more. And make sure you buy some SFF-8087 to Sata breakout cables (each cable does 4 drives) and you'll be laughing

There's several guides on the internet on how to flash the card to LSI IT mode, which will put it into passthrough where the disks will be seen natively by the OS rather than needing annoying single disk raids

Only other caveat is some motherboards don't like booting with the card installed, as it detects as a non server board, personally I haven't had this happen, some guys with SuperMicro mobo's have, but if this happens, don't stress, google for the M1015/H200/H310 pin blockoff - whereby you use electrical tape to block 2 pins on the card to stop the detection and all will be happy

• Upvote 1