Anyone running Seagate Ironwolf Pro drives?

I just bought 4 WD Red 8TB drives on Monday but I just saw today Newegg has the 8TB Ironwolf Pro drives up for $299.99 with promo code. I was wondering if anyone here is using these drives? They come with a 5 year warranty and 300TB/year workload rating, plus free data recovery included. I've always hated Seagate because of how many I've had fail and have only used WD and HGST the past few years with almost no failures, but this seems to be a good drive. Just wondering what everyone here thinks of them.

I have a ST8000VN0002, which is basically an IronWolf Pro.  It's a nice drive, seriously quick, quiet, and runs reasonably cool considering it's a 7200rpm enterprise drive.  I think the only difference is some diagnostic software stuff that's available on the IronWolf Pro.

I would have no hesitation in buying another 8TB NAS drive from Seagate.

12 minutes ago, HellDiverUK said:

I have a ST8000VN0002, which is basically an IronWolf Pro.  It's a nice drive, seriously quick, quiet, and runs reasonably cool considering it's a 7200rpm enterprise drive.  I think the only difference is some diagnostic software stuff that's available on the IronWolf Pro.

I would have no hesitation in buying another 8TB NAS drive from Seagate.

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of using two of these Ironwolf Pro 8TB for parity instead of two of the WD Reds since the parity drives get abused so much. I didn't even consider it before because of price difference but now I might have to return two of the WD Reds for these instead.

So general consensus is these would be just as good or better than a WD Red for a parity drive? I'm in the market to upgrade my parity and replace my smallest array drive with the current parity drive.

EDIT: Oops was looking at the regular Ironwolf, not the "Pro"

Edited by Smitty2k1
1 hour ago, Smitty2k1 said:

So general consensus is these would be just as good or better than a WD Red for a parity drive? I'm in the market to upgrade my parity and replace my smallest array drive with the current parity drive.

EDIT: Oops was looking at the regular Ironwolf, not the "Pro"

I bought the 8TB pro models on sale for $299.99. I'll be running WD reds for my array. Since it was only $10 more per drive than the reds I figured you get 7200rpm, and a longer warranty which are both important for me,  at least for the parity drives that will be abused the most. 

I'll update after running them for a while. 

If you can find, I would recommend the HGST 8TB (non-Helium). They are 7200RPM at the $300 price point. HGST as a brand has by far the highest reliability ratings. I have one waiting in the wings for Parity2 duty (other parity is a RAID0 of two 4TB HGSTs).

But for regular media data I would go with the Seagate archive. At $180, they are pretty irresistible and score well with BackBlaze. But if you are wanting to send 60% more, the HGST is the one I'd go with.

Although not necessarily comparable, the WD Red 6TB did poorly in most recent BackBlaze report.

And be careful, some of the WD are Helium filled. It reduced friction and allows disks to run cooler, but the helium leeches out over time. No personal experience but I wouldn't buy.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, bjp999 said:

If you can find, I would recommend the HGST 8TB (non-Helium). They are 7200RPM at the $300 price point. HGST as a brand has by far the highest reliability ratings. I have one waiting in the wings for Parity2 duty (other parity is a RAID0 of two 4TB HGSTs).

But for regular media data I would go with the Seagate archive. At $180, they are pretty irresistible and score well with BackBlaze. But if you are wanting to send 60% more, the HGST is the one I'd go with.

Although not necessarily comparable, the WD Red 6TB did poorly in most recent BackBlaze report.

And be careful, some of the WD are Helium filled. It reduced friction and allows disks to run cooler, but the helium leeches out over time. No personal experience but I wouldn't buy.

Yeah I couldn't find the HGST 8TB for anything under $329 when I got the Ironwolf Pro or I'd probably have gone with that. I see them now for $299 at BHPhoto but I figure I'll give seagate a try once again. Haven't used them In many years and these drives look solid but we'll see. I have 14 HGST 2TB drives that have been running for years with no issues or failures. I love HGST but they sure charge a premium. 

Also the 8TB WD reds I got are helium filled. Hopefully they last. They've had a few generations to work out kinks so we'll see.