[Support] Ninthwalker - NowShowing

Hi [mention=9420]ninthwalker[/mention]!

Loving the app - working great and stable.

One suggestion (hmmmm - maybe I should check if you would rather have requests on github?):
Would it be possible to add a link to the webpage within the email?

Thx again!

You can modify the email body file to include your own link as it’s html code if you want to do it right away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Upvote 1

It would appear that it is no longer working for me. It stopped working after Aug 3rd. I have completely remove the docker app and reinstalled and now I am getting this in the log:

# Logfile created on 2017-08-11 11:48:50 -0700 by logger.rb/56438
I, [2017-08-11T11:48:50.832559 #789]  INFO -- : Starting up NowShowing
E, [2017-08-11T11:49:36.327986 #789] ERROR -- : Something failed.  If you are seeing this, please turn on debugging and open an issue.
I, [2017-08-11T11:49:36.352359 #789]  INFO -- : No new media to report!

How do I turn on debugging? Do I need to use the -v switch when running docker exec NowShowing combinedreport -d -t?

Edited by StanC
On 8/11/2017 at 0:03 PM, StanC said:

It would appear that it is no longer working for me. It stopped working after Aug 3rd. I have completely remove the docker app and reinstalled and now I am getting this in the log:

# Logfile created on 2017-08-11 11:48:50 -0700 by logger.rb/56438
I, [2017-08-11T11:48:50.832559 #789]  INFO -- : Starting up NowShowing
E, [2017-08-11T11:49:36.327986 #789] ERROR -- : Something failed.  If you are seeing this, please turn on debugging and open an issue.
I, [2017-08-11T11:49:36.352359 #789]  INFO -- : No new media to report!

How do I turn on debugging? Do I need to use the -v switch when running docker exec NowShowing combinedreport -d -t?

I have been away on business/vacation for the past month so sorry I haven't responded sooner @StanC.

Did you change anything either with the NowShowing docker or your Plex server around the date your issues started?
You should be able to get a more detailed log if you run the below command. Depending where the issue lies it may or may or may not shed some light.

If you want to post a redacted log output or PM me with more config details and such I may be able to help further. Thanks!

on your unRAID cmd line:

docker exec NowShowing combinedreport -t -vvv

-v or -vv, -vvv adds more verbose logging.

You can also try with just the emailreport or webreport instead of combinedreport.

@luisv Thanks! Glad you like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello... sorry to say, but it doesn't seem like the scheduled cron job is working.  When I tested the execution of the email via ssh, it worked perfectly; however, the last entry in the log is from last week when I was doing testing.  Below is the last line in the log:

I, [2017-08-17T19:21:57.834890 #1702]  INFO -- : Script complete.  Ran in 369.448962219 seconds

I set the schedule to kick off on Thursdays at 6:15pm:

email_report_time: '15 18 * * 4'

Any help is appreciated and if you need any other info please let me know.

21 minutes ago, luisv said:

Hello... sorry to say, but it doesn't seem like the scheduled cron job is working.  When I tested the execution of the email via ssh, it worked perfectly; however, the last entry in the log is from last week when I was doing testing.  Below is the last line in the log:

I, [2017-08-17T19:21:57.834890 #1702]  INFO -- : Script complete.  Ran in 369.448962219 seconds

I set the schedule to kick off on Thursdays at 6:15pm:

email_report_time: '15 18 * * 4'

Any help is appreciated and if you need any other info please let me know.

Did you restart the docker after making the cron time change in the config? A restart is needed to pick up the new cron time. 

To test you could always change the config to turn on test only mode and set the cron for 5min after whatever current time it is. Then restart the docker and you should get a new email/webpage report a few minutes after the cron goes off.

let me know how that works out. 

Thanks. 

Edited by ninthwalker
On 8/16/2017 at 2:34 PM, ninthwalker said:

I have been away on business/vacation for the past month so sorry I haven't responded sooner @StanC.

Did you change anything either with the NowShowing docker or your Plex server around the date your issues started?
You should be able to get a more detailed log if you run the below command. Depending where the issue lies it may or may or may not shed some light.

If you want to post a redacted log output or PM me with more config details and such I may be able to help further. Thanks!

on your unRAID cmd line:

docker exec NowShowing combinedreport -t -vvv

-v or -vv, -vvv adds more verbose logging.

You can also try with just the emailreport or webreport instead of combinedreport.

I have been busy lately and got back to this. I created an test episode and then ran the following code:

docker exec NowShowing combinedreport -t -v

I have attached the log for you to review. At around line 1389 is where the ERROR took place.

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE: I did some clean-up of the server:

1. Removed my Music Library - was not really necessary since I use Libresonic/Subsonic to stream my music.

2. Ran Optimize Database

3. Ran Clean Bundle

4. Ran Empty Trash

Then added a test show and re-ran the command and now it would seem that everything is working again.

Edited by StanC
Deleting attached file
1 hour ago, StanC said:

I have been busy lately and got back to this. I created an test episode and then ran the following code:

docker exec NowShowing combinedreport -t -v

I have attached the log for you to review. At around line 1389 is where the ERROR took place.

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE: I did some clean-up of the server:

1. Removed my Music Library - was not really necessary since I use Libresonic/Subsonic to stream my music.

2. Ran Optimize Database

3. Ran Clean Bundle

4. Ran Empty Trash

Then added a test show and re-ran the command and now it would seem that everything is working again.

Glad it is working for you now.

I have a Music section and that should not interfere with the report.

It could be possible it didn't like something in the DB tables and your Optimize or clean bundles helped to fix it. Good job figuring it out! =)

I sent you a PM as well if you can check that. Thanks!

Edited by ninthwalker

Found this error in the docker log, how can I recreate it?

[cont-init.d] 10-set-uidgid: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 20-setup: executing...
Advanced config file detected. Keeping existing files
cat: can't open '/opt/nowshowing_schedule.cron': No such file or directory
Setup complete! Please read directions for advanced settings and changing the schedule.
[cont-init.d] 20-setup: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

24 minutes ago, luisv said:

Found this error in the docker log, how can I recreate it?

[cont-init.d] 10-set-uidgid: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 20-setup: executing...
Advanced config file detected. Keeping existing files
cat: can't open '/opt/nowshowing_schedule.cron': No such file or directory
Setup complete! Please read directions for advanced settings and changing the schedule.
[cont-init.d] 20-setup: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

Your advanced.yaml config file may be formatted incorrectly and it's not making the .cron file upon docker startup.

After docker starts, via cmd line you can run the following commands. If there is no cron file there that means it is unable to create it, which most likely points to a config file issue.

You can post your advanced.yaml config file contents or attach it to a post here. (replace sensitive info with arbitrary data).

Run this on unraid cmd line:

docker exec NowShowing ls /opt/

then if it does show a "nowshowing_schedule.cron" run the below command to see what it looks like.

docker exec NowShowing cat /opt/nowshowing_schedule.cron

example outputs:

root@NAS:~# docker exec nowshowing ls /opt/
advanced.yaml
config
config.yaml
gem
nowshowing_schedule.cron
root@NAS:~# docker exec nowshowing cat /opt/nowshowing_schedule.cron
30 23 * * * webreport -n -d &> /dev/null
57 14 * * 5 emailreport -n -d &> /dev/nullroot

Edited by ninthwalker

This is all it shows when I run:

advanced.yaml
config
config.yaml
gem

Here's the advanced.yaml:

---
email:
  title: 'Recently Added'
  image: 'http://i.imgur.com/LNTSbFl.png'
  footer: 'I hope you enjoy the new releases!'
  language: 'en'
web:
  title_image: 'img/nowshowing.png'
  logo: 'img/logo.png'
  headline_title: 'Just added:'
  headliners: 'Laughs, Screams, Thrills, Entertainment'
  footer: 'Thanks for watching!'
plex:
  plex_user_emails: 'yes'
mail:
  subject: 'Now Available via Plex'
  recipients_email: ['[email protected]']
  recipients: ['replaced']
report:
  interval: 7
  report_type: 'email only'
  email_report_time: '20 19 * * 4'
  web_report_time: '20 19 * * 4'
  extra_details: 'yes'
  test: 'disable'

19 hours ago, luisv said:

This is all it shows when I run:

advanced.yaml
config
config.yaml
gem

Here's the advanced.yaml:

---
email:
  title: 'Recently Added'
  image: 'http://i.imgur.com/LNTSbFl.png'
  footer: 'I hope you enjoy the new releases!'
web:
  title_image: 'img/nowshowing.png'
  logo: 'img/logo.png'
  headline_title: 'Just added:'
  headliners: 'Laughs, Screams, Thrills, Entertainment'
  footer: 'Thanks for watching!'
plex:
  plex_user_emails: 'yes'
mail:
  subject: 'Now Available via Plex'
  recipients_email: ['[email protected]']
  recipients: ['replaced']
report:
  interval: 7
  report_type: 'email only'
  email_report_time: '20 19 * * 4'
  web_report_time: '20 19 * * 4'
  extra_details: 'yes'
  test: 'disable'

Only thing that stands out as wrong is the "report_type: 'email only'" field.

it should be all one word. 'emailonly'

Try changing that and restarting with a close cron time and see if that runs or makes the .cron file inside the docker.

Edited by ninthwalker

I started to play with this docker a while ago and emails were not sent so I ran this:

docker exec nowshowing combinedreport -t -vvv

In nowshowing.log I see an endless loop (hours) of attempts to connect to thetvdb:

D, [2017-08-27T14:42:03.993396 #819] DEBUG -- : #<HTTParty::Response:0x559fb68a8030 parsed_response={"MediaContainer"=>{"size"=>"1", "allowSync"=>"1", "identifier"=>"com.plexapp.plugins.library", "librarySectionID"=>"2", "librarySectionTitle"=>"TV", "librarySectionUUID"=>"1ca5eee5-4195-44f9-b8a8-baa26a3e6714", "mediaTagPrefix"=>"/system/bundle/media/flags/", "mediaTagVersion"=>"1502201050", "Directory"=>{"ratingKey"=>"855590", "key"=>"/library/metadata/855590/children", "guid"=>"com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb://315776?lang=en", "librarySectionID"=>"2", "librarySectionKey"=>"/library/sections/2", "type"=>"show", "title"=>"The Tick", "titleSort"=>"Tick", "summary"=>"", "index"=>"1", "thumb"=>"/library/metadata/855590/thumb/1503693215", "leafCount"=>"6", "viewedLeafCount"=>"0", "childCount"=>"1", "addedAt"=>"1503693196", "updatedAt"=>"1503693215", "Location"=>{"path"=>"/mnt/user/tv/The Tick (2016)"}}}}, @response=#<Net::HTTPOK 200 OK readbody=true>, @headers={"content-type"=>["text/xml;charset=utf-8"], "content-length"=>["771"], "connection"=>["close"], "x-plex-protocol"=>["1.0"], "cache-control"=>["no-cache"], "date"=>["Sun, 27 Aug 2017 18:42:03 GMT"]}>
D, [2017-08-27T14:42:04.396570 #819] DEBUG -- : Response from thetvdb for query series/315776/all/en.xml: Code: 404.
E, [2017-08-27T14:42:04.396660 #819] ERROR -- : Could not connect to thetvdb.com.  Will retry in 30 seconds
D, [2017-08-27T14:42:34.396825 #819] DEBUG -- : Retry attempt: 1 for query series/315776/all/en.xml
D, [2017-08-27T14:42:34.493621 #819] DEBUG -- : Response from thetvdb for query series/315776/all/en.xml: Code: 404.
E, [2017-08-27T14:42:34.493746 #819] ERROR -- : Could not connect to thetvdb.com.  Will retry in 30 seconds
D, [2017-08-27T14:43:04.493880 #819] DEBUG -- : Retry attempt: 2 for query series/315776/all/en.xml
D, [2017-08-27T14:43:04.581906 #819] DEBUG -- : Response from thetvdb for query series/315776/all/en.xml: Code: 404.
E, [2017-08-27T14:43:04.582003 #819] ERROR -- : Could not connect to thetvdb.com.  Will retry in 30 seconds
D, [2017-08-27T14:43:34.582150 #819] DEBUG -- : Retry attempt: 3 for query series/315776/all/en.xml
D, [2017-08-27T14:43:34.673795 #819] DEBUG -- : Response from thetvdb for query series/315776/all/en.xml: Code: 404.
E, [2017-08-27T14:43:34.673917 #819] ERROR -- : Could not connect to thetvdb.com.  Will retry in 30 seconds
D, [2017-08-27T14:44:04.674067 #819] DEBUG -- : Retry attempt: 1 for query series/315776/all/en.xml
D, [2017-08-27T14:44:04.766181 #819] DEBUG -- : Response from thetvdb for query series/315776/all/en.xml: Code: 404.

The series 315776, whatever that is has been deleted so that's not going away anytime soon.  The tick 2016 should be series ID 317654 so not sure where 315776 comes from.

It looks like the 3 retry limit loop never releases control...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@mad_vtak

I'm not sure how much more I can help you. I have never set up a docker environment in Synology. I have experience with normal docker on Linux and unRAID. I know someone else has it working in Synology, so maybe he can help you more. Sorry. 

(Although in your environment variables screenshot above, you don't have any of them defined, unless you deleted them all for the screenshot. Also, sometimes depending how the docker environment is setup they may need quotes around them and other times not.)

- Ninthwalker 

Edited by ninthwalker
2 hours ago, StanC said:

The docker appears to work pretty good at picking up new movies and new seasons. But it seems to not work on new episodes. Is this something that will be coming in the future or is this something that is broken?

It picks up my new ep's and the other ppl I know that use it. Did it used to and stop for you or has it never? Do the logs show them listed or not in there either?

Also, check if the episodes you think it should be picking up are using the TVDB agent for metadata as well. 

- Ninthwalker

On 9/16/2017 at 1:06 PM, ninthwalker said:

It picks up my new ep's and the other ppl I know that use it. Did it used to and stop for you or has it never? Do the logs show them listed or not in there either?

Also, check if the episodes you think it should be picking up are using the TVDB agent for metadata as well. 

- Ninthwalker

It has never worked for episodes. It only works for whole seasons. All shows (seasons or individual episodes) are under one library called TV Shows. That library is using TheTVDB Agent. But something that I just noticed is that the Plex DVR is renaming the episodes by adding the year onto the show title (TV Show Title (YYYY) - S##E## - Episode Title.ts), whether the TheTVDB entry has it or not. So I am wondering if that is causing the issue possible? Also I am looking around to see if there is a post process that will run the shows through FileBot and use the Plex naming convention or maybe just do manually and submit a request to Plex to have them follow TheTVDB naming convention for DVR recordings. 

1 hour ago, StanC said:

It has never worked for episodes. It only works for whole seasons. All shows (seasons or individual episodes) are under one library called TV Shows. That library is using TheTVDB Agent. But something that I just noticed is that the Plex DVR is renaming the episodes by adding the year onto the show title (TV Show Title (YYYY) - S##E## - Episode Title.ts), whether the TheTVDB entry has it or not. So I am wondering if that is causing the issue possible? Also I am looking around to see if there is a post process that will run the shows through FileBot and use the Plex naming convention or maybe just do manually and submit a request to Plex to have them follow TheTVDB naming convention for DVR recordings. 

One relatively quick way to test if it is something with the library or naming..

Create a new Library mapped to a temporary folder location.

Copy in a few tv episodes with the correct naming and have it scan and add them to the Plex library.

Then run the NowShowing docker to test and see if it picks up the new libraries as new episodes.

docker exec NowShowing combinedreport -t

• 3 weeks later...