New Unraider, looking forward to build up my own.

tyanu

Hi,

As i said in the title, i'm new here. Also, excuse me for mistakes, as english is not my native language.

I am here because i like the versatility of Unraid and i want to build my own Unraid multi-purpose setup.

I have a lot of different questions, so i hope i wont be annoying to much.

I discovered Unraid with Linus's videos about multi users gaming towers and after a while i thought about i could use it for me. I am planning to make a single machine do all the following things : NAS, personnal cloud, media center, and maybe a firewall or other dockers i could have a use of.

I have a lot of questions about hardware and settings of unraid. For the hardware, that seems pretty obvious where i should ask but about the settings ?

Thanks in advance.

15 minutes ago, itimpi said:

For the settings I would suggest:

- Look at the online documentation - it covers most of them.

- If you have booted unRAID off a USB stick, then turn on the Help.    This will give a lot off in-line descriptions of what the settings do.

well i tried unraid on a dummy computer already and most of it was pretty simple to me, except i had some troubles having a VM going through a dedicated GPU. Where could i search for that ?

5 hours ago, tyanu said:

I am planning to make a single machine do all the following things : NAS, personnal cloud, media center, and maybe a firewall or other dockers i could have a use of.

None of these uses would require a VM.

3 hours ago, tyanu said:

well i tried unraid on a dummy computer already and most of it was pretty simple to me, except i had some troubles having a VM going through a dedicated GPU.

So what do you need a VM for? Does your "media center" use include video output?

49 minutes ago, trurl said:

None of these uses would require a VM.

So what do you need a VM for? Does your "media center" use include video output?

Yes. Also, play small games with friends on the couch or stuff like that.

If that wasnt clear enough, i plan on using the Windows VM as a media center.

Edited by tyanu