My First Ryzen Build

DTB7

Hey guys new to the forum.  Wanted to share my recent Ryzen build, the performance is amazing.  

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Processor
Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 premium-grade low-profile CPU cooler for AMD AM4
ASUS Prime X370-Pro AM4 AMD X370
5X - WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM
1X - WD Red 8TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM
Kingston ValueRAM 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2133 RAM (Server Memory) ECC DIMM (288-Pin) 
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB 
Intel PRO/1000 Pt Dual Port Server Adapter
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2

went with 32gb because most people said at least 1 GB for TB of storage.  I could've gotten by  with 16.  Really in my mind though I was thinking should I do 64gb.  Disclaimer I had no real budget for this

Edited by DTB7
10 hours ago, DTB7 said:

went with 32gb because most people said at least 1 GB for TB of storage.

As HellDiverUS stated, there is no 1GB RAM per TB of storage requirement in unRAID.  This is an oft-quoted metric related to FreeNAS.  RAM requirements in unRAID are determined much more by the way in which it will be used (number and type of VMs, dockers, etc.) and not by the amount of storage supported.

5 hours ago, HellDiverUK said:

Most people are spouting nonsense

The best source of information for unRAID is right here on this forum. In fact, I would say if you didn't learn about it here, it can't be trusted. Lots of "computer-savvy" people are just repeating folklore and don't really know how anything works.

Yes you guys are correct, now that I think about it before my build I was going back and forth between unraid and freeNas which is why i got the 32 gb.  Although I do plan on doing a lot of VM's and video compression so I figured I would utilize the ram.

Edited by DTB7
16 minutes ago, NotYetRated said:

How is the power usage? I love my dual socket e5-2670 system, but really hate the power draw!

what is your power draw in kwh? Compare it to more modern system and calculate difference in kwh, convert it to money and calculate how much time in years do you need to reach the price you will pay for a more modern system..  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 11:51 AM, uldise said:

what is your power draw in kwh? Compare it to more modern system and calculate difference in kwh, convert it to money and calculate how much time in years do you need to reach the price you will pay for a more modern system..  

Appreciate the comment, but I asked about the power draw of the AMD system, not about how to perform an ROI. I need to know comparative power draws of these systems to perform any ROI calculation.