Pre purchase - reg tied to my email?

Hi

I have three days left of trial and might bite the bullet. At least so i can muck around with it for a while longer even if i don't stick with it.

I registered my trial with an email address belonging to an ISP i am going to leave, so eventually i am going to lose access to this address.

When i purchase my paid license, is it tied to that email? Can i change my email? What are, if there are any, issues i'll face if i buy a key, using a trial registered to an email I'll no longer have access to?

Cheers !

But your ability to recover/replace your licence in the event of disaster is tied to your email. So it is best to have an email address that belongs to you such as a Gmail address for these kind of issues.

That is why I never accept an ISP email address. Comcast Verizon etc, sorry don't want one of your email addresses.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, tr0910 said:

But your ability to recover/replace your licence in the event of disaster is tied to your email.

At present this is not strictly true.  Your key file is tied only to your USB flash GUID.  We do keep an association in our database of email/key, but that is mainly to help us process manual key replacement requests.  When a key replacement occurs we are rebinding the key to a new usb flash GUID, and you will get sent a new key file.  At that point you should delete the old key file and discard the old USB flash device.

Thanks for the replies :)

So if i have trouble in the future and need to prove i am me, but i have lost access to the email my original trial  was tied to, it might be problematic?

There is always a chance a flash drive might fail. If i wanted to be risk adverse, whats the best way out of this? I have about 48 hours before trial expires - i take it I have to reinstall everything from a new trial associated with a different email, and then upgrade that?

12 minutes ago, Oxxy said:

Thanks for the replies :)

So if i have trouble in the future and need to prove i am me, but i have lost access to the email my original trial  was tied to, it might be problematic?

There is always a chance a flash drive might fail. If i wanted to be risk adverse, whats the best way out of this? I have about 48 hours before trial expires - i take it I have to reinstall everything from a new trial associated with a different email, and then upgrade that?

If you do not already have one then the easiest thing to do would be to create a gmail (or similar) email address that will stay valid long term.

There is no reinstall required if you want to use the same USB drive - just put the new key on the USB drive and it should be OK.   If you want to switch to a different USB drive copy the current contents to the new USB stick and you will be auto-guided through the key change/upgrade process.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I know the GUID is the most important thing, but I'd like to change the email that's associated with it. So that seems to mean a new flash drive.

So i can just set up a new flash drive with a new trial, go through the setup, and import my disks? Assuming i can, then i'd just pay for my registration with the new key?

Ok, copied it across to a brand new flash drive, same trial install. Cant access it via GUI (nothing at local host), can ping the server. But thats about it.

Tried in safe mode, then back to normal mode.

I am pretty good at this stuff usually, but honestly - i am endlessly strapped for time now. I really wanted something that was somewhat forgiving. I just cant afford to spend hours mucking around to get this going, or keep it going

Even though the good folks here are indeed helpful

If this is tied to my email for whatever reason, i really should just be able to change my email in the GUI. And yes i know the reasons for tying it to a flash drive, but honestly, its a bit of a pita too.....

Sorry, probably a bit over tired, looong days at work are killing me :/

Edited by Oxxy
2 hours ago, Oxxy said:

Ok, copied it across to a brand new flash drive, same trial install. Cant access it via GUI (nothing at local host), can ping the server. But thats about it.

Tried in safe mode, then back to normal mode.

I am pretty good at this stuff usually, but honestly - i am endlessly strapped for time now. I really wanted something that was somewhat forgiving. I just cant afford to spend hours mucking around to get this going, or keep it going

Not sure why this does not work for you - it should.    When I tried it the system quite happily booted with my configuration intact.   I could not start the array as the key was not valid for the new flash drive but  I was then prompted to go through the process of getting a key for this flash drive.

Not sure why it did not 'just work' for you.    I am guessing it is something obvious but not sure at the moment what it might be.

Possibly I have some of these details wrong and maybe Limetech will correct me, but here is how I think it works:

There are 2 parts to this puzzle. There is the flash GUID, and there is the key file. As long as the GUID matches the key, then everything proceeds normally.

If you have to replace your flash, then when you boot with the old key, it won't match the GUID of the new flash. The automatic replacement process gives you a new key that matches the GUID of the new flash, and the old key becomes invalid, thus blacklisting the old flash with the old GUID.

The email address associated with your license is not part of this automatic process, but it is on file with Limetech. That email address would be used when requesting a manual replacement if the automatic replacement can't work for some reason, such as the flash is dead and you don't have a copy of the key. I don't know if other "proofs of purchase", such as a PayPal transaction ID, would be accepted or not.

You would have to contact Limetech to see if they will update the email associated with your license.

Back again, sorry for slow reply - work is,....busy

To be clear - I am running this virtually.

And what i meant by no GUI, is that i started unraid, and was viewing it via a console window in ESXi, i chose the boot option as GUI

When it boots, i can login, but firefox cant connect - just sits there trying local host.

Unfortunatly my time (and ability) to troubleshoot this is limiited.

I can see traffic in and out of the host with wireshark, and can ping just find. Its just like the whole front end has dissappeared.

The new flash drive is just me being careful, got a faster, newer one. Given my install is tied to that hardware.

I think i might have to just completely start again with a new flash drive, and new trial with a different email address. Seems to be a bit faster?

I'd certainly be worried if i ran into this in a 'production' install. At the moment all my data on unRaid is still on the original box as well. Had considered just using Windows server storage spaces as an alternative.

Just like to stop by and thank those that helped me again, learned a bit.

Just did a reinstall with a new trial using a permanent email address, and a newer high quality flash drive.

Added all my data drives (minus cache and parity for now) and all my data is back there and working properly. Installing plugins now too.

I'll make a purchase off this trial, and at least if i need support, it will be associated with my new email

Cheers folks.