Unraid on Mac Pro 3.1

Dousi

Hello everybody

I've been using Unraid as my homeserver for about a year now and have been very happy with it. but, as I started on very low end Hardware, I'm looking into upgrading the Server hardware. the easyest and most economical way for me to do so ist to use my Mac pro 3.1 as the Server. it has dual quadcore Xeons with 3ghz and 32GB of ecc RAM. The only problem I have  is that I'm not able to boot to unraid. I installed refind on it and with this I can boot to Ubuntu and such, but Unraid won't boot. it just shows the blinking cursor in the top left corner and does not do anything. 

Is there anybody who could give me a tip how this could be resolved?

I'm not a Software guy, so sorry if this seems to be a dumb question.

Thanks for your help in advance and best Regards

Dousi

Mac's don't boot like PC's, you'll need to look into a boot loader like clover to modify the unRAID flash drive to get it to work, if that's even possible. You can't be the first person to try this though, so perhaps someone who has already succeeded at doing this can chime in so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

10 hours ago, 1812 said:

Just curious if you can try it on another machine to verify it works.

I tried that and it does work. I also tried the stick I'm using in my server currently and it did not work, but works now on the old hardware again.

8 hours ago, ashman70 said:

Mac's don't boot like PC's, you'll need to look into a boot loader like clover to modify the unRAID flash drive to get it to work, if that's even possible. You can't be the first person to try this though, so perhaps someone who has already succeeded at doing this can chime in so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I'll check that out to see if I can find something. thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.4.2017 at 2:00 PM, methanoid said:

Did you solve this at all? I'm very interested as I have a particular need to be able to boot unRAID via EFI so if rEFInd works I'd love to know

I haven't managed to get it booting using refind, but havent tried clover yet. as I do not have lots of time, maybe you want to try this route?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 3:49 AM, TieDyeGeek said:

Hey, I'm trying to get this to work on my Mac Pro 1,1. I can't even get it to see the flash drive on boot. Did anyone have any luck?

Reading other posts, it seems you need another boot loader (Plot Bootloader) resides in a CD to load unraid from USB.

• 8 months later...