Unraid server died today - Suspecting Motherboard - Mobo question [SOLVED]

Really quick question.  I may need to replace my motherboard and it's decently old.  Running v5, am I able to just blindly plug in hdds to a new motherboard, different model?  I'm just thinking about a guts swap of the motherboard only, keeping the Unraid flash stick the way it is.  How will Unraid respond to that?

Sad thing was, I was swapping out my older 1.5 tb for a 4tb when I tried to start it back up:

- it would not output on the monitor

- there was no led indication on the case

- I never heard a beep from POST

- keyboard numlock and scrollock lights will not work

- and after replacing the power supply, all indications above hold true

So I suspect it's my motherboard. 

Because of this, I was thinking about just getting a Synology 8 bay because I find myself without the abundance of time to mess with Unraid.  If I do, would I be able to just plug each hdd into an external and transfer data to a new NAS?  I was thinking a windows machine should be able to just read the Unraid hdds if the Synology unit can't directly. 

Thanks ahead of time!

Edited by Isamu966

Your disks will be in ReiserFS format.   It would be much easier to plug them into a system running Linux as it has built-in support for Reiser`fS while Windows does not.  It IS possible to get the data off ReiserFS disks under Windows but it is rather tedious.   If you do not have access normally to a Linux system it is alway possible to boot the PC from a Linux "Live' CD to temporarily use Linux while moving the data to its new home.

Edited by itimpi

Looking more into the Synology makes me want to get the DS1815+ AND get my Unraid up.  Maybe that will alleviate some of the headache and keep me up and running.  Plus I would finally have a real backup.  I see Newegg has 4tb WD Red in a combo, 2 for $250.  I was thinking grab 4 hdds for the Synology.  

There is one listing for a new motherboard of my old model, $50.  I can transfer my cpu and ram over.  Not too bad to get it up, or should I upgrade?  Any known stable builds where the hardware is still available?  I keep seeing builds that use old unavailable motherboards.  I feel like I'm just getting a little anxious to see if I lost any data and am making rash decisions.  

My old rig was very good to me.  It was kept on almost 24/7, although I can't say it was used constantly.  It ran cool and power usage was low.

ASUS M4A785T-M AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto Dual-Core 3.1 GHz Socket AM3 80W HDX550WFGMBOX Desktop Processor

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

Forgot to that I currently have 7 hard drives on my Unraid which is also a limiting factor of what motherboard I can get.  I haven't been keeping up so I don't know if the Unraid is a finicky as before with what hardware you use.

Edited by Isamu966
Forgot to add HDD QTY which limits mobos

Synology are great, I have a few myself however since discovering unRAID I believe they serve a specific purpose and are more limited then what unRAID offers. You've already had a great experience with unRAID why stop now? I don't see moving to a Synology NAS as an 'upgrade' rather its a bit of step backwards in my opinion. You have to remember that a Synology NAS is not upgradeable in terms of CPU, most you can upgrade the RAM but not the CPU. Also you are limited to the number of drives it can hold, sure some models have an external add on from Synology you can buy, but they are quite expensive. I think your best bet would be to replace the motherboard and continue on with unRAID.

I stated I was looking to keep my Unraid going but was going to add the Synology to mirror. 

The issue was I lost data with a QNAP about 7 years ago when I saw Unraid.  I had time to mess around and build my first unit.  I kept it simple, but now I'm working 7 days a week, recently married, looking for a house, and the list is getting longer.  

I'm hoping to find a good stable motherboard to the the Unraid going and the Synology will just work.

One thing about my old build was that the transfer rates felt slow, always around 11-13MB/s, but fast enough all the users didn't seem to notice on streams while working.