[6.3.3] "no space on device" but GUI/df says there is plenty of space everywhere…

I was rsyncing files from my macbook to the server (rsync -av Projektarchiv [email protected]:/mnt/user/archive/Archiv/Projektarchiv) and when I came back the log was full of "no space on device" errors and my Windows VM was frozen…

my log is full of these messages:

Mar 31 20:16:46 Datenteich shfs/user: err: shfs_write: write: (28) No space left on device
Mar 31 20:16:49 Datenteich shfs/user: err: shfs_rename: rename: /mnt/cache/archive/Archiv/Projektarchiv/[…] (28) No space left on device
Mar 31 20:16:49 Datenteich shfs/user: err: shfs_write: write: (28) No space left on device
Mar 31 20:16:49 Datenteich shfs/user: err: shfs_rename: rename: /mnt/cache/archive/Archiv/Projektarchiv[…]  (28) No space left on device

but GUI & df both tell me there is plenty of space everywhere:

root@Datenteich:~# df -h /var/
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs           16G  619M   15G   4% /
root@Datenteich:~# df -h /tmp/
root@Datenteich:~# df -h /
root@Datenteich:~# df -h /mnt/
rootfs           16G  619M   15G   4% /mnt
root@Datenteich:~# df -h /mnt/cache
/dev/sdg1       233G  127G  106G  55% /mnt/cache
root@Datenteich:~# df -h /mnt/user
shfs            4.8T  1.8T  3.1T  37% /mnt/user
root@Datenteich:~# df -h /mnt/user0
shfs            4.6T  1.7T  3.0T  36% /mnt/user0

as logs say cache was full I tried to invoke mover – worked. now I'm able to start my VMnope, crashed at startup :/ and can resume rsyncing… 

so what happend here? diagnostics are attached, but without logs (too many personal information… why arent mover logs anonymized?). I can mail logs to limetech if needed.

datenteich-diagnostics-20170331-2136_nologs.zip

Edited by me.so.bad
3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Your post doesn't really follow the Defect Report Guidelines, so I am moving it to General Support for now.

Hm ok, whats wrong with it? I dont really know what happend so I cant add more information…

I know logs are important, but as far as i can see there is nothing helpful in it and - as I said - I can mail them to LT if needed, just dont want to upload them here.

5 minutes ago, me.so.bad said:

Hm ok, whats wrong with it? I dont really know what happend so I cant add more information…

If we determine it is really a defect then we will know more about it and we can add more information and put it in defect reports.

99% of the time when someone doesn't know what happened, it is not a defect.:)

thats just… wtf?!

so I got 50% used on my disk but because of "something" btrfs refuses to put more data on it and I have no chance rely on the numbers displayed by unRAID?

after running your balance cmd i do get a little bit space back, but how is it possible that of my 2*250G RAID1 only ~25% are usable?! 

at least my VM survived it… need to make backups asap.

Edited by me.so.bad
4 minutes ago, me.so.bad said:

but how is it possible that of my 2*250G RAID1 only ~25% are usable?! 

That's false and if you read the other thread I explained why this happens, after running that command you should be able to completely fill your pool, you were getting an out of space error because no new metada chunks could be allocated, since all unused space was allocated for data chunks, this is a "characteristic" of btrfs, less likely to happen in latest kernels but still possible, especially in the cache, since in normal usage it gets filled to the top and then emptied multiple times.

OK, I'm home on the computer so let me try to explain this one more time, first btrfs works differently than most other file systems, because before any writes are done it allocates chunks, mostly for data and metadata, these are usually 1GB and 256MB in size respectively, btrfs fi show displays allocated vs used space, this was your cache pool:

Label: none  uuid: c3200c16-0d62-4ee2-882d-3a5f8d32eec1
    Total devices 2 FS bytes used 126.22GiB
    devid    1 size 232.89GiB used 232.88GiB path /dev/sdg1
    devid    2 size 232.89GiB used 232.88GiB path /dev/sdf1

So device size is 232.89GiB only 126.22GiB were in use, but 232.88GiB were allocated.

Now lets look at btrfs fi df were we can see how many space is allocated and used for each type of chunk, again data and metadata are the ones that interest us, the others are negligible:

Data, RAID1: total=231.83GiB, used=125.38GiB
System, RAID1: total=32.00MiB, used=48.00KiB
Metadata, RAID1: total=1.02GiB, used=867.03MiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=135.22MiB, used=0.00B

So, you have a lot of free space on the chunks allocated for data, and that was not the problem, but if you look at metadata the existing chunks are almost full, so it needed to create a new metadata chunk, but because the devices were completely allocated it was not possible, hence the out of space error.

The command you ran reclaimed all previously allocated data chunks that were only 5% or less used, so the needed metadata chunk could be created.

Btrfs is being constantly improved and these situations should happen much less often in the future, but to avoid this for now run the same balance command anytime the allocated space comes close to total device space, say above 95% capacity or so.

Edited by johnnie.black
  • Upvote 1