unRaid and Kodi

Smitty2k1

On 3/31/2017 at 7:04 PM, Smitty2k1 said:

I also think that scanning my library takes a long time. I have a fairly extensive music, movie, and TV show collection but it still seems like the library should be able to scan for updates quite quickly. 

Does everyone have these issues? Have you found any tips and tricks with unRaid + Kodi?

A few things I've found that helps with scanning and browsing speed:

1. setup sonarr/radarr etc to ping kodi when there's a new file

2. share your database using mysql if you have multiple clients so only 1 or 2 (I update two clients as I have separate libraries for my kids)

3. read this page about music library scanning and why it's recommended to have 'fetch additional info disabled' - I personally don't have my music library set to scan and do it manually https://kodi.wiki/view/Scraping_Music

4. if you have a large library and your browsing is slow it's probably because you haven't created all your thumbnails.  I'd install the excellent texturecache script and run "texturecache.py c" to force cachemissing thumbs and "texturecache.py P" to delete old ones.  I do this every couple of weeks to keep my browsing as fast as possible https://github.com/MilhouseVH/texturecache.py

As to playing files - kodi has been perfect for me, with the only delay waiting for a disk to spin up if needed.

I've steered away from the emby and plex integrations as kodi works so well for me, I don't want to mess with the databases

• 5 years later...