Unraid on SSD not USB

Hey Unradiers,.

Im curious on the topic of installing it on a SSD rather than a USB drive, For a couple of reasons...

1. Thumb Drives don't have great life span. 

2. Install on Mirror Raid. 

Im cautious of going into a production environment with UNRAID on a USB drive. 

What happens if the drive fails? Do I loose my Shares & VM's ? or its simply a matter of plugging in a new thumb drive and its back up and running?

Thanks

23 minutes ago, phillipsgarage said:

1. Thumb Drives don't have great life span. 

The flash is only used to boot and store settings.  unRaid runs completely in RAM and doesn't access the flash unless you change a setting.  FYI, most use cases of actual storage space on the flash is around 500Meg.

24 minutes ago, phillipsgarage said:

What happens if the drive fails?

You make another boot flash, and copy (you have a backup) of your .key file from the original flash to the replacement.  When booted up, the UI will transfer the registration over to the new flash

25 minutes ago, phillipsgarage said:

Do I loose my Shares & VM's ?

no

26 minutes ago, phillipsgarage said:

or its simply a matter of plugging in a new thumb drive and its back up and running?

Yes

• 6 years later...

So i thought bout this. However I have been just restore or transfer license to new flash i did forced fail test to see process moving to another flash drive.

It was quite easy tranfer license. I use flash drives that are water proof, xray proof, heat proof. I  have yet to have one fail thankfully. I have some unraid server i build for residential client of mine 7 years and going strong. I also easily move the host os to another chasis if i was have cpu/ motherboard failure. I like have usb to able move to another chassis. I have done this as upgraded better components , larger drives as my library grows. quality of files become 4k and use up more space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPHN7LV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1