Parity check speed and performance

What affects parity check speed? Specifically in my case I think we've been over this before but I am asking again. The fact I am using Seagate archive drives and have not one, but two parity drives, affects the speed of the parity checking process, correct? If I were to drop down to only one parity drive, might the time it takes right now which is anywhere from 23 hrs to 28hrs, drop significantly? Would it drop to 12 hrs, or maybe only 18 or 20? Also, would changing to different 8TB drives that are not archive drives make any difference?

Depends on your hardware, dual parity depends on your CPU then sata connections more so.

If you're using 8TB drives, you will never see better than 16 hour parity check times going by reported speeds on these forums. I think most times were over 20 hours.

If you want 12-13 hour parity check times, you will have to drop to 4TB 7200rpm drives.

Edited by BRiT
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Depends on your hardware, dual parity depends on your CPU then sata connections more so.

If you're using 8TB drives, you will never see better than 16 hour parity check times going by reported speeds on these forums. I think most times were over 20 hours.

If you want 12-13 hour parity check times, you will have to drop to 4TB 7200rpm drives.

I would have to agree.  I get 19hr Parity check times with 2 8TB HGST NAS drives and 4TB data drives on one server.  22hr Parity check times with 2 8TB WD Red non-pro drives and a mix of 4TB and 6TB data drives on another.  So the 16hr times with all 8TB drives sound about right.