Server 2012 VM quite slow

I have imaged a Server 2012 R2 install to a VM, the vdisk is on a 1tb cache drive, i have allocated 4 cores of a Xeon and 8gb of RAM to it but it is very slow to startup and for the services to get going.

Is this just an i/o limitation of using a mechanical hard drive? I'm also running pfsense (1gb ram, 1 core), Ubuntu with LAMP (2gb ram, 2 core) and a Windows 7 (4gb ram, 2 core) machine for PXE booting over the LAN.

The unraid server is a dual cpu Xeon with 20gb ram.

3 minutes ago, Spies said:

Is this just an i/o limitation of using a mechanical hard drive? I'm also running pfsense (1gb ram, 1 core), Ubuntu with LAMP (2gb ram, 2 core) and a Windows 7 (4gb ram, 2 core) machine for PXE booting over the LAN.

Most likely with all the VM's competing for IO (especially if they all start concurrently)

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Also, and since you mentioned imaged, make sure it's using the virtio driver, but an SSD will always perform much better, as I'm sure you already know.

It's set to IDE under the VM settings but i have installed the VirtIO drivers once in Windows. Do i need to switch the vdisk to VirtIO and reboot?

1 minute ago, Spies said:

It's set to IDE under the VM settings but i have installed the VirtIO drivers once in Windows. Do i need to switch the vdisk to VirtIO and reboot?

Yes, but for it to work you need to add a second vdisk, a very small one will do, set it to virtio, start windows, make sure the virtio drivers are installed and the 2nd vdisk is detected, shutdown, change primary vdisk to virtio, boot windows.

After this you can then remove the 2nd vdisk.