9 hours ago, trurl said:

This thread was mostly pointless as originally started, but now it seems to have morphed into a "feature request" thread. There is another subforum for feature requests. I expect most of the features planned for 6.4 are already determined.

DON'T CRUSH OUR DREAMS.

On 4/11/2017 at 10:21 PM, trurl said:

There is another subforum for feature requests.  I expect most of the features planned for 6.4 are already determined.

The feature request forum seems to be largely unacknowledged.  There's been no announcement of planned features or any kind of road-map for future development so it's not surprising that these topics keep popping up. 

Maybe there's nothing to announce yet?  

+1 for being able to assign Dockers DHCP/Static IP addresses without using Pipework, which I noticed caused great instability for the containers I had it enabled for.

i'd like to add something else.

we have a toggle for acs override which modifies the syslinux.cfg file.

How about options for many of the other commonly used modifications? 

vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 

isolcpus= (with a check box like in the vm editor)

vfio-pci.ids= 

and whatever else I'm missing.

It's not a big deal for experienced users to modify the syslinux.cfg but for those newbies, it would get them up and running faster and make it easier on them, and "safer."

13 minutes ago, 1812 said:

i'd like to add something else.

we have a toggle for acs override which modifies the syslinux.cfg file.

How about options for many of the other commonly used modifications? 

vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 

isolcpus= (with a check box like in the vm editor)

vfio-pci.ids= 

and whatever else I'm missing.

It's not a big deal for experienced users to modify the syslinux.cfg but for those newbies, it would get them up and running faster and make it easier on them, and "safer."

I seem to recall that @jonp have mentioned they are working on that somewhere. Too lazy to search for it though...

1 hour ago, saarg said:

I seem to recall that @jonp have mentioned they are working on that somewhere. Too lazy to search for it though...

32847-then-my-work-here-is-done.gif.ada39a3c63051d3e2a85984f7e9f9b12.gif

Everybody should know that LimeTech never really announces when something will be released until it is released. 

If they said it would be released Next week the Forum would be a blaze because the date wasn't meant. :D

I understand that, I honestly do. But it would be nice to have some type of roadmap.

If it was a completely free and open source project then hey, do what ya like when ya like. But since it is in fact a paid license software, having zero known direction to the end user is less than helpful.

I own multiple pro licenses and I don't regret the purchase of any of them, so I'm still happy with what LT has provided me for the money invested. Now with that being said, if there was a roadmap with deadlines, your more likely to hit said deadlines. That's just simple business practices. When you have no deadlines to meet and nothing known in the hopper coming down the line your more likely to have 30 irons in the fire never devoting enough time to any of them dragging your completion out further and further.

So would I like to see a forum littered with a bunch of crap coming? No, but I would like to see major features slated for release in 6.4, 6.5, 7.0.. Again, these are simple practices employed by just about any legitimate business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CyberSkulls said:

But since it is in fact a paid license software

You paid for the version that was current at the time of purchase. If and until Limetech charges for upgrades, demanding something for nothing isn't likely to be well received.

17 minutes ago, CyberSkulls said:

Again, these are simple practices employed by just about any legitimate business.

How many of these businesses can you name that released all their upgrades for free to current licensees?

Limetech is a pretty unique business, and business model. Since Tom seems happy with how things are going, I don't really see many changes in their business model unless something drastic happens.

Yeah, I agree with @jonathanm on this.  If you're a Windows or MacOS user try contacting Microsoft or Apple and asking for a roadmap on where they're going with Win12 or the next MacOS.  When it's put like that it sounds preposterous.  Also why would a business that has competitors want to release a long term road map of what features they're going to put in the coming versions, makes no commercial sense to show your hand of cards at all.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

You paid for the version that was current at the time of purchase. If and until Limetech charges for upgrades, demanding something for nothing isn't likely to be well received.

How many of these businesses can you name that released all their upgrades for free to current licensees?

Limetech is a pretty unique business, and business model. Since Tom seems happy with how things are going, I don't really see many changes in their business model unless something drastic happens.

I never claimed to have paid for something other than what was current at the time of purchase. As a matter of fact, I mentioned I'm happy with my purchase. I also didn't demand anything. Please go back and read my post before you start making assumptions of what I might have or might not have demanded. 

**Edit** Forgot to reply to your other question: How many of these businesses can you name that released all their upgrades for free to current licensees? I never mentioned a business that does or does not offer free upgrades to current licenses. Somehow you tried to twist my words around from a timeline into something about free upgrades for your own benefit. So you will need to answer your own question as I can't help ya on that one.

Edited by CyberSkulls

1 hour ago, CyberSkulls said:

I also didn't demand anything.

1 hour ago, CyberSkulls said:

it would be nice to have some type of roadmap.

Sorry, maybe demand was a little strong. You said you wanted a roadmap. I gave the reasons why that was unlikely to happen, and why the statement that being paid licensed software wasn't relevant.

You implied that because Limetech doesn't release a public roadmap, they aren't a legitimate business. I strongly disagree.

Sorry, maybe demand was a little strong. You said you wanted a roadmap. I gave the reasons why that was unlikely to happen, and why the statement that being paid licensed software wasn't relevant.

You implied that because Limetech doesn't release a public roadmap, they aren't a legitimate business. I strongly disagree.

I did say I would like to have a roadmap, and I would. But as far as the paid license not being relevant, we can agree to disagree on that. That's strictly a matter of opinion in which I have my view and you have yours. Nothing wrong with that.

No, I never implied they aren't a legitimate business because they don't have a roadmap. If you took it that way, it's unfortunate as it was not intended to come across that way. If I felt they were not legitimate, I wouldn't have paid for their product and I defiantly wouldn't have mentioned in my original comment that I was happy with my purchase. Nor would I constantly recommend unRAID to potential customers on Reddit. I want to see unRAID get better and better over time so I recommend it what seems like daily.

With all that being said, is a roadmap likely showing the community what cool new features are coming? Doubtful. But can I still want it? Absolutely!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I find doing feature requests as a forum category doesn't really work, systems like UserVoice or http://www.phpback.org/ provide nice interfaces that can be filtered, searched and marked with status that are much more user friendly. Voting also helps LT get an idea of what features are most requested?

Unfortunately users shoot themselves in the feet when organizations try and provide road maps and timelines and as mentioned forums go wild with posts if things are not kept to timelines etc so it is easier to not post anything until they are ready to release test or production version.... human nature, we want something new now!! :D

As an aside, thanks to LT for keeping the new features coming. iGPU was a massive feature that I needed and now working very nicely.:)

I find the web interface hangs too often - it seems certain functions are run by the web admin thread itself?

On 4/4/2017 at 5:30 AM, bonienl said:

What particular new feature / functionality are you waiting for?

The switch away from emhttp - to eliminate GUI lockups waiting on other process to finish.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I'm really happy with development progress. Compared to 4.x release speeds and developer interaction with the users, Tom and his team have stepped up their game, A LOT. It's a small team, but look at how much they have achieved in just a couple of years, with no upgrade costs. That same team also supports completely random hardware configurations (unlike most NAS vendors), and they're still managing to push out semi-regular releases that don't destroy data. 

I've had essentially the same unRAID server now for 7 years. It has seen failed drives, upgraded drive capacity, multiple unRAID updates, replaced hardware, and I've not once lost data. In that same time period, I've had three friends revert to backups because their *insert vendor here* NAS failed. 

You could complain about speed, minor UI issues, etc... but you can't complain about the core product. It's damned reliable, and it's very flexible. I still can't name a cheap home NAS product that even comes close. 

Waiting for home object storage though, none of this fuddy duddy RAID nonsense. Chop chop @limetech  ;-) 

Screenshot of unRAID 5.0 for effect. 

NewGUI-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2017 at 5:36 AM, coolspot said:

I find the web interface hangs too often - it seems certain functions are run by the web admin thread itself?

When this is resolved, Im pretty happy with the OS as a whole to be honest. Its the only bug bear I have with the entire product. 

HUGE thing to change though as it'll most likely break the majority of plugins out there at the moment. 

Other than that, the ability to update individual modules like docker and libvirt independently of OS updates would be really good as well.

• Upvote 1

Anyone got a screenshot of V4.7?  That was the first version I used.... Oh, those heady days.... :D

On 5/12/2017 at 5:26 PM, CHBMB said:

Anyone got a screenshot of V4.7?  That was the first version I used.... Oh, those heady days.... :D

unraid.jpg

@CHBMB

15 minutes ago, kizer said:

unraid.jpg

@CHBMB

Thanks man,  I'd forgotten how basic it was, I remember being amazed by the functionality at the time, and blown away by the whole thing.

• Upvote 1

My request, admittedly a large change, is to have unRaid run as a client server model - the core OS and all functionality is the server, with a well defined API to access and control it, and a similar extensibility model for plugins/addons.

The web GUI would then be an 'agent' which would access everything via this API. It could be web based, it could be a client program, and would be separate.

I think this model brings a lot of flexibility as well as stability and opens up so many possibilities.

Probably a little late in the game to suggest that for an upcoming release if they haven't implemented that already.