Several hours, couple difference approaches, no luck.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to setup a 7days2die server (and hopefully load it with the saved game data I've already made)

Tried booting up a centos 7, got steamcmd installed, tried to install a samba server, nfs server, several different issues came up with permissions and stuff and after following 3 different tutorials I gave up on that path, without finding anyway to get files into a VM,

Decided to try to go in the docker route, no steamcmd on the community apps, so I went through docker hub. Can't figure out how to get the templates to work within dockers I get off the hub, I tried doing docker pulls with arguments, and they download but never seem to execute. Tried adding the dockers through community apps and making the template myself, couldn't get it to start. 

So I said screw it, I know how to make this work in windows, I'll put up a windows 7 VM, then couldn't figure out how to get the drivers installed for storage, people seem to just find them on a virtual cd rom that doesn't show up on my win7 install.

After all this I guess I'm asking what is the best way to set this up. And from there I'll start digging into the individual errors I'm getting and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for the help, I'm really racking my brain trying to get something as simple as a steamcmd setup. 

Use the Virtualbox plugin to create your Linux VM that will give you shared folder access to the host, a bridged network interface to obtain its own IP and don't have to mess with SMB or NFS to move files in/out of it.  You just can't use Virtualbox and KVM in unRAID at same time.

Edited by unevent
  • Upvote 1
On 3/23/2017 at 3:37 AM, mavermc said:

I'll put up a windows 7 VM, then couldn't figure out how to get the drivers installed for storage, people seem to just find them on a virtual cd rom that doesn't show up on my win7 install.

Settings - VM Settings, Advanced.  Set an ISO storage location, select the latest version of the virtio ISO and hit download

Add / edit the VM.  Show Advanced.  Set the location for the virtio ISO you just downloaded

When installing Windows, Click on load drivers, navigate to d:\viostor\w7\amd64

• Upvote 1
On 3/24/2017 at 6:21 PM, unevent said:

Use the Virtualbox plugin to create your Linux VM that will give you shared folder access to the host, a bridged network interface to obtain its own IP and don't have to mess with SMB or NFS to move files in/out of it.  You just can't use Virtualbox and KVM in unRAID at same time.

This is what I didn't know, the bridge / host configuration was giving me all kinds of problems. Finally figured out the difference between host and bridge, it helped me with other issues like my unifi docker not seeing APs started working by switching it into host mode. But I'm checking out the virtualbox plugin, this should make it way easier to move files around. 

On 3/24/2017 at 6:32 PM, Squid said:

Settings - VM Settings, Advanced.  Set an ISO storage location, select the latest version of the virtio ISO and hit download

Add / edit the VM.  Show Advanced.  Set the location for the virtio ISO you just downloaded

When installing Windows, Click on load drivers, navigate to d:\viostor\w7\amd64

The advance options for the indvidual VM gave me the options I needed for the driver iso, but now that I have it, it's not recognizing any of it, I think the installer iso is 32bit because only the x86 drivers even show up as valid storage drivers for the installer, but it still doesn't find the img. I imagine there is a huge performance cost if I switch the storage controller over to an emulated sata connection. any other drivers I could try so windows 7 installer could see the virtIO image? (I tried the bloat drivers too, again, only the x86 driver was recognized and it didn't find the image after refreshing.