Samsung 960 evo PCI-e-M2 - OK for new Unraid Server

Just finalizing my build for my Unraid, Plex, with a windows 10 VM for Security software/downloads. its shut in a cupboard and only needs power and network.Thinking of adding the following components, appreciate thoughts, especially with M2-PCI SSD and Adapter to be sure they are fully supported by UnRaid please.. as if I'm spending the dosh I want fast read and write for massive video transfers between drives/shares :-)

• 2 x Asus HYPER M.2 x 4 MINI M.2 Hyper Interface Adapter - new
  • 2 x Samsung 960 EVO M.2-2280 256GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 - new for Write cache
  • Gigabyte B250M D3H Kaby Lake Micro ATX Motherboard(main interest in has 1 x M2 and 1 x PCI-3 4 channel for SSD Cache & 6 onbaord Sata/6Gbps for traditional storage drives (WD Reds below) - new
  • Intel Core I7-7700 3.60GHZ Socket 1151  - new for H.W Plex transcode & playing 4K content
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200 2400MHz DIMM C16 Memory Kit - new
  • 4 x WD Reds for Parity and Storage - existing
  • 6 x Hot swap 3.5 bays for WD Reds - existing
  • 450 watt PSU - existing

Cheers, Julian

Edited by huntjules
typo error

I've been using a sm961 nvme drive for a few weeks with no issues.

I'm using mine as an unassigned drive with four VMs running concurrently.  There's a video showing how to pass through the drive to a VM for slightly better performance, but the improvement didn't seem compelling to me for the hassle and also it would mean the drive would be only available to one VM at a time which doesn't fit my setup.

Speed improvement moving from an ssd running the VMs has been close to how it felt when i moved from my first ssd a few years ago.

Edited by DZMM
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 1:14 PM, DZMM said:

I've been using a sm961 nvme drive for a few weeks with no issues.

I'm using mine as an unassigned drive with four VMs running concurrently.  There's a video showing how to pass through the drive to a VM for slightly better performance, but the improvement didn't seem compelling to me for the hassle and also it would mean the drive would be only available to one VM at a time which doesn't fit my setup.

Speed improvement moving from an ssd running the VMs has been close to how it felt when i moved from my first ssd a few years ago.

Thanks buddy