Drive full error

4 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

It is quite likely that BTRFS is the future of file systems, but it is still be in its formative years, and the community is gaining knowledge and experience by which to guide adopters

I also think btrfs is the future, in fact I'm in the process of converting my 3 remaining xfs servers, there are still some issues but I believe that for normal usage it's mostly stable and has some important advantages, crc and snapshots being the ones I'm most interested in.

7 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

The fact that BTRFS does not really know how much space remains available on a disk seems to be a recurring them

It's complicated because of the way btrfs works, it allocates different types of chunks before writing the data (mostly for data and metadata), this can results sometimes (although much less frequently on later kernels) in a device being fully allocated with mostly empty chunks and not being able to create new ones for additional writes.

But this case is not really btrfs fault, while it's normal for df to report a little more space than actually available, in this case it was under reporting the free space by over a TB.