Whats the best HBA (it mode) that its supported by unraid?

Hi,

I been really happy with unraid, so much that im planning a new build, in the past i used IBM 1015 because they were cheap and easy to flash, never i had an issue with it.

But i would like to consider other hba on this new build, specially better performers that are supported by unraid out of the box.  Im open to 8/16/24 HBAs, i dont have a budget set for them.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Unless your new build is not running with SSD's as array drives, there is no need to look for something more powerful than the SAS2008 based cards. The bottle neck will still be the spinners.

But if you insist, there are SAS3008 based cards out there but we have little experience collected so far.

I don't know if Limetech has already build in drivers for specific cards that they consider to be preferred to go with in future - I doubt.

SAS2308 based controllers are supported, e.g., LSI 9207-8i, but like Fireball3 mentioned,unless you're using SSDs or an expander with many HDDs (and your board supports PCIe 3.0) the SAS2008 has more than enough bandwidth.

Edited by johnnie.black
  • 9 months later...

Sorry for so many questions, I know nothing about HBAs.

I'm looking at this for about $50:

HP 660088-001 H220 2-Port SAS 6G PCI-E HBA SAS9205-8i  

I'll be able to just plug and play with something like that?  Or do I need one that has enough "ports" on it as I have total drive bays, if I want to expand later?

7 minutes ago, Carpesimia said:

Sorry for so many questions, I know nothing about HBAs.

I'm looking at this for about $50:

HP 660088-001 H220 2-Port SAS 6G PCI-E HBA SAS9205-8i  

I'll be able to just plug and play with something like that?  Or do I need one that has enough "ports" on it as I have total drive bays, if I want to expand later?

Fyi...that guy is accepting offers down to $30 per card.  I just bought several.