Dell H310 in an X4 slot? (performance loss?)

cdoublejj

• 3 years later...

Note- I've tried this. Although the bandwidth should not be a problem that card chokes up very badly on pci2.0x4 lanes on a southbridge.

Even with just four drives. Everything slows down. It must need to use all eight lanes regardless of its bandwidth needs, or it’s being throttled by the mobo southbridge that I’ve ran it through. My consumer-grade mobo setup is such that I can’t really test which is happening very easily, and the answer wouldn’t really help me anyway. 

I wanted to contribute what I learned about this because I benefited greatly from this and some other old discussions that I found here. 

Edited by BrassFox
Clarifications
  • 1 year later...
On 7/19/2020 at 5:10 PM, BrassFox said:

Note- I've tried this. Although the bandwidth should not be a problem that card chokes up very badly on pci2.0x4 lanes on a southbridge.

Even with just four drives. Everything slows down. It must need to use all eight lanes regardless of its bandwidth needs, or it’s being throttled by the mobo southbridge that I’ve ran it through. My consumer-grade mobo setup is such that I can’t really test which is happening very easily, and the answer wouldn’t really help me anyway. 

I wanted to contribute what I learned about this because I benefited greatly from this and some other old discussions that I found here. 

I think the bottleneck is related to the southbridge, because in my system it does not makes difference in x8 vs x4 during parity checks or turbo writes.  (max 190mb/s with all drives).  LSI SAS9211-8I is connected to a cpu pcie.