Help with an unmountable disk

Hello all, 

I am having an issue with a disk that is unmountable. Smart check comes back okay so I ran an xfs_repair -n on it and this is what I get - See Attached file please

Then I ran a check -L thinking it would fix it like it did a few versions back (Was unmountable a few versions back and the repair -L fixed it right up and I was able to mount it again) and I now get this - See Attached file please

Not sure where else to go without mucking it up more as it seems from reading about this is way over my head. 

Any help is appreciated. 

xfs_repair -L.txt

xfs_repair -n.txt

10 minutes ago, slobberybeast said:

Would wiping the disk and rebuilding help? I have a valid parity as of 19 days ago or would the data be corrupted there too?

No, absolutely not. Parity cannot fix filesystem corruption, and wiping the disk will just make parity think you have a wiped disk.

It's the first time I see xfs_repair failing to repair a filesystem, but like I said before, it looks very corrupt.

Unless someone else has a different suggestion your only options are waiting for a new xfs_repair release and hope it will work or use xfs_metadump and send it to a xfs maintainer, see here.

Also, and unless you're using ECC, I would run memtest for a few hours to make sure your RAM is OK.

Edited by johnnie.black

Well dang, so It looks like I am out of options for now. Unless someone else has any ideas?

I will run Memtest for a bit to see if there are RAM issues.

I have been meaning to wipe and rebuild clean for awhile now I just don't have the time right now. I am not super worried about the data loss as I have backups in place that are known good. 

The reason I asked for diagnostics was there were so many things wrong with the file system structures, that I was afraid that either he had tried to repair the drive instead of the partition (sde instead of sde1 or md4), or it wasn't an XFS drive, but a drive with a similar file system, enough to find file system pieces and try to construct an XFS file system.

I'm afraid the damage is so severe that it's too much for the current xfs_repair, and it's crashing.  I really hope you have a backup for the data.

I'm a bit intrigued by your statement of a 19 day old parity copy, but didn't understand what you mean by that.  Is that a *separate* disk that you can put back in?  And was Disk 4 fine at that time?  What exactly do you have from 19 days ago?

Also, you have IDE emulation turned on for your onboard SATA drives.  When you next boot, go into the BIOS settings and look for the SATA mode, and change it to a native SATA mode, preferably AHCI if available, anything but IDE emulation mode.  It should be slightly faster, and a little safer.

You have Disk 4 and Disk 5 on the same IDE channel, at limited speed.

4 hours ago, RobJ said:

The reason I asked for diagnostics was there were so many things wrong with the file system structures, that I was afraid that either he had tried to repair the drive instead of the partition (sde instead of sde1 or md4), or it wasn't an XFS drive, but a drive with a similar file system, enough to find file system pieces and try to construct an XFS file system.

I'm afraid the damage is so severe that it's too much for the current xfs_repair, and it's crashing.  I really hope you have a backup for the data.

I'm a bit intrigued by your statement of a 19 day old parity copy, but didn't understand what you mean by that.  Is that a *separate* disk that you can put back in?  And was Disk 4 fine at that time?  What exactly do you have from 19 days ago?

No worries, I can't expect anyone to help me fix my broken shit without giving them as much info as I possibly can. :-) 

As far as the data goes I am at no loss as I have a backup on another system (QNAP running a raid 5, as well as a back up of that to a couple of 8TB drives not in a raid). Haha yea I'm a bit paranoid...

I have a parity drive in the unRaid that says its 19 days old. Am I understanding the parity wrong? I thought it was there so if a drive died it could re-build it, unless it has the file system corruption is on it as well. Should I be running the parity check more often? 

At any rate i will stick it out and try and fix this, otherwise I will start from scratch and rebuild - although I really don't want to do that. I have backups of my system configs I need just in case but transferring that amount of data takes so much time. 

Memtest did 2 passes with no errors so I'm going to say it is the file system on Drive 4.

Here is a screen from the Memtest that has been running most of the day - 58d208d31f571_Memtest2_20170321.thumb.jpg.3f2ba26120c240920730f5771514b38a.jpg

Here is a screen from unRaid that shows the Parity was last checked 20 days ago with no errors. As far as I know everything was up and running then. I did an update a few days ago and that is when I got the Un-mountable Disk. I tried to run a check on that disk in maintenance mode and then I ran one with -L and here I am now. 

Unraid_Screen_Main.thumb.JPG.8bff585bda892d44f50df913f29e6d20.JPG

I really do appreciate all the help, love the community here!

3 hours ago, RobJ said:

Also, you have IDE emulation turned on for your onboard SATA drives.  When you next boot, go into the BIOS settings and look for the SATA mode, and change it to a native SATA mode, preferably AHCI if available, anything but IDE emulation mode.  It should be slightly faster, and a little safer.

You have Disk 4 and Disk 5 on the same IDE channel, at limited speed.

Ah yes, I must have missed that a few weeks ago when resetting my BIOS settings. My rig ''somehow'' lost all its BIOS settings (Battery is good). I think they got reset when I ''maybe'' bumped the clear CMOS button replacing the parity drive a few weeks back. 

Thanks for catching that. They are set to AHCI now. :-)

7 hours ago, slobberybeast said:

As far as the data goes I am at no loss as I have a backup on another system (QNAP running a raid 5, as well as a back up of that to a couple of 8TB drives not in a raid). Haha yea I'm a bit paranoid...

You might be surprised at the number of people who think unRAID parity means they don't need a backup.