Now you see me, now you don't drive

I have been in the process of converting my disk to XFS format and all is going fine. In the meantime I have a new Seagate 8TB  Archive drive pre-clearing on another test box I have. The pro-clear finished and last nite I thought I would install it in my main box, replacing a WD 2TB green drive formatted to XFS. 

I do a clean powerdown and take out WD green drive and install new Seagate drive. Power server back up but server does not see new drive. I have 3 of the Seagates already in array and thinking WTH. Powerdown again and switch the new seagate to a different position in array. start sever back and still no device shows up. NowI power down again and connect the Seagate to the motherboard and it now shows the new drive. So now I am wondering if mt 5x3 Norco's are the problem. But still have 3 other new seagtes installed in the same 5x3 Norco's. 

Running a parity sync now but will find out later if once I take it off the motherboard connection and try adding it back into the 5x3 if the problem persists.

Any ideas in the mean time is helpful.  

I will get those diagnostics for you. 

I did confirm that the Seagate  is only seen when connect to motherboard sata controller.

After parity sync I connected into the 5x3 which is from the supermicro controller and started . Unraid stated disk missing. I then tried through the HP h220 controller and same thing.disk missing. I then connected one cable from motherboard to one connector on the back of the 5x3. Unraid shows missing disk. So I can not confirm if it is the bus controllers or the 5x3 cages. I have 3 cages and tried one spot of each cage with always the same outcome. Missing disk. What is confusing me is that I have other 8TB seagates in the array through the 5x3 cages.

I will get the diagnostics for you. May take a bit, Have to pull tower out again.

Thank you

30 minutes ago, RobJ said:

To fully understand what's happening, we would need to see both diagnostics, one where it's seen and one where it's not seen.  Then we can see what the kernel is seeing (or not seeing).  You will also want to make sure it's seen by the BIOS at bootup.