Tutorial: Installing Pulseway for remote monitoring

4 hours ago, Almighty_Villain said:

I know I'm pretty late, but when I boot pulseway, I still don't see the System on my dashboard, despite the daemon having no errors. When I check the config.xml file again, it looks like it goes back to the default login from the example file. Any idea on why it's not saving the config I edited?

Are you sure your config.xml file is being copied to the correct location on boot? What's in your /boot/config/go file?

On 9/18/2021 at 3:40 PM, Almighty_Villain said:

cp /boot/pulseway/config.xml /etc/pulseway/config.xml
cp /boot/pulseway/pulseway.id /var/pulseway/pulseway.id

/etc/rc.d/rc.pulseway start

That all looks good to me. The contents of /boot/pulseway/config.xml are what you'd expect? With your info, etc?

2 minutes ago, PTRFRLL said:

That all looks good to me. The contents of /boot/pulseway/config.xml are what you'd expect? With your info, etc?

That's my issue, unfortunately. It saves the changes I made to specific monitoring parameters, but it defaults the pulseway username/password. It shows the username as admin, and the password is some giant string that definitely isn't mine.

4 minutes ago, Almighty_Villain said:

That's my issue, unfortunately. It saves the changes I made to specific monitoring parameters, but it defaults the pulseway username/password. It shows the username as admin, and the password is some giant string that definitely isn't mine.

The password should change, Pulseway hashes it for you so it's not stored in plaintext. As for the username, that shouldn't change. I suppose the simplest way to troubleshoot is:

• Disable the Pulseway service: /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseway stop
  • Edit the config.xml located here: /etc/pulseway/config.xml
  • Re-enable service: /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseway start
  • Check if config.xml is still "intact" with your edits/Unraid machine is showing in Pulseway
Edited by PTRFRLL
1 minute ago, PTRFRLL said:

The password should change, Pulseway hashes it for you so it's not stored in plaintext. As for the username, that shouldn't change. I suppose the simplest way to troubleshoot is:

• Disable the Pulseway service: /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseway stop
  • Edit the config.xml located here /etc/pulseway/config.xml
  • Re-enabled service: /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseway start
  • Check if config.xml is still "intact" with your edits

Ahh, understood, thanks for the detailed help! I'll check on that and post my findings. I suppose I'm looking at a networking issue if that all checks out then? 

• 3 months later...

Hi @PTRFRLL,

Thank you so much for these instructions - I'm just trialling / migrating to Unraid and the ability to have Pulseway up an running is fantastic! I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you might be able to help with:

1. Once its up and running, which is the primary config.xml file I should be editing to change the settings - /boot/pulseway/config.xml?
  2. How do I go about upgrading pulseway when a new version is released? Do I just download and copy the new txz file to the /boot/extra folder, and it all works on the next boot?
  3. If an update adds new features and requires new settings / strings to be defined in the config.xml file, I presume I would need to copy a new sample xml file and edit that, but do I need to save it in both /boot/pulseway/ and /etc/pulseway/, or does it just need to be in the boot/pulseway folder?
  4. Finally (sorry!), I have the "Fix Common Problems" CA plugin installed, and it comes up with a warning: "Extra packages being installed were found in /boot/extra. It is not recommended to install any packages this way. The recommended way is via the NerdPack / DevPack plugins". I'm guessing there isn't a way to install pulseway using either of those is there? I ask as I don't think I want to stop the FCP plugin from monitoring that area (to check no viruses have been installed there), but I would also like to stop that warning for Pulseway.

Many thanks for reading!

5 hours ago, PitRejection2359 said:

Hi @PTRFRLL,

Thank you so much for these instructions - I'm just trialling / migrating to Unraid and the ability to have Pulseway up an running is fantastic! I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you might be able to help with:

1. Once its up and running, which is the primary config.xml file I should be editing to change the settings - /boot/pulseway/config.xml?
  2. How do I go about upgrading pulseway when a new version is released? Do I just download and copy the new txz file to the /boot/extra folder, and it all works on the next boot?
  3. If an update adds new features and requires new settings / strings to be defined in the config.xml file, I presume I would need to copy a new sample xml file and edit that, but do I need to save it in both /boot/pulseway/ and /etc/pulseway/, or does it just need to be in the boot/pulseway folder?
  4. Finally (sorry!), I have the "Fix Common Problems" CA plugin installed, and it comes up with a warning: "Extra packages being installed were found in /boot/extra. It is not recommended to install any packages this way. The recommended way is via the NerdPack / DevPack plugins". I'm guessing there isn't a way to install pulseway using either of those is there? I ask as I don't think I want to stop the FCP plugin from monitoring that area (to check no viruses have been installed there), but I would also like to stop that warning for Pulseway.

Many thanks for reading!

1. Yes, anything in /etc/pulseway will not persist after a reboot, so you should always edit the one in /boot/pulseway. That said, if you just want to test that your config.xml changes work, you could edit the /etc/pulseway file so you don't have to reboot after ever change
  2. Correct, just place the new version in that directory and it will be installed on the next boot
  3. See #1
  4. I've seen this warning as well but as you mentioned Pulseway is not available via NerdPack. I believe putting the package in /boot/extra is still the recommended way to install packages at boot, so you should be able to ignore this particular warning

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1
On 1/8/2022 at 4:43 PM, PTRFRLL said:

1. Yes, anything in /etc/pulseway will not persist after a reboot, so you should always edit the one in /boot/pulseway. That said, if you just want to test that your config.xml changes work, you could edit the /etc/pulseway file so you don't have to reboot after ever change
  2. Correct, just place the new version in that directory and it will be installed on the next boot
  3. See #1
  4. I've seen this warning as well but as you mentioned Pulseway is not available via NerdPack. I believe putting the package in /boot/extra is still the recommended way to install packages at boot, so you should be able to ignore this particular warning

Hope that helps!

amazing - thank you very much. apologies for the delayed reply - my notifications weren't set properly up for some reason.

• 1 year later...