gridrunner

**VIDEO GUIDE** How to passthrough and boot from an NVMe controller for bare metal performance in unRAID

I noticed as I only tried to isolate the CPU's after I had already built the machine and as soon as I started it I got the error once I removed the isolation I could boot into windows again,

I did try last night to use the OVMF and was able to create a machine and once started see the NVMe in the bios options and set it to be the boot device but unfortunately, it hung on boot and I couldn't get windows to start again, I have a horrible feeling I might have to rebuild the VM from scratch or backup create a new VM and restore onto it.. but lack the time atm to give that a go.

• Upvote 1

On 9/5/2017 at 10:34 PM, Tyranian said:

I did try last night to use the OVMF and was able to create a machine and once started see the NVMe in the bios options and set it to be the boot device but unfortunately, it hung on boot and I couldn't get windows to start again, I have a horrible feeling I might have to rebuild the VM from scratch or backup create a new VM and restore onto it.. but lack the time atm to give that a go.

Try and boot from a windows ISO and run a startup repair. boot partitions on the NVMe disk will be different if you originally installed while the device was on the VIRTIO bus. 

If that doesnt work, you'll need to attach the nvme as a secondary disk on another vm to drag files off you need, then do a fresh install.  

So I gave in and did a fresh install on the NVMe, very fast, very nice, love it

I want to transfer files across from my old VM (vdisk) ideally mounting it with this VM and booting to the NVMe. However every time I try, it just boots into the vdisk. How do I access the boot menu, or mount the vdisk so it won't boot from it?

Thanks for your very helpful videos that convinced me to give UnRAID a shot after my NAS died and took 3 WD Red drives with it.

So I've just started dabbling in UnRAID, and the main thing I needed was to have a gaming VM through an NVMe drive, running alongside the 6-drive array. (I basically took my gaming rig and converted it for UnRAID)

I followed @billington.mark 's steps and used the @gridrunner's scripts to have the OVMF files copied over upon array start. 

Windows 10 (build 1709 / Fall Creators Update) installed really quickly.

At this point I had forgotten to have the VirtIO drivers ISO mounted to get the drivers in, so I did, and the ethernet, serial and other drivers installed successfully. 

I also passed through an AMD RX580, through which I had been setting all these up. So rightfully, the next thing I did was to open Edge, and obtain the latest RX580 drivers. Installation went through smoothly, and I chose to restart the VM through the standard Start Menu. Boom. BSOD. Error said something about attempting to write into read-only memory. So it rebooted on its own and its now stuck at the Tianocore logo, with nothing else.

I turned on my monitor connected to the host machine's integrated graphics and noticed that this keeps appearing randomly:

/dev/nvme0n1: No such fle or directory

This has appeared 13 times in the last hour of getting Windows running. Any idea what's causing this?

EDIT: 

Maybe I should add that I configured it to start with 2GB of ram and allow it go up to 8GB (I have 32GB non-ECC on the host). Task Manager shows 7.3/8.0GB used right after startup. Is this normal?

4 out of 8 threads (2 cores) of the host's i7-6700 is assigned to the VM.

Edited by shrmn

Update to the issues I faced above - re-created the entire VM this time stubbing the NVMe drive. The console flooding of "/dev/nvme0n1: No such file or directory" no longer happens.

Also this time made the min and max memory settings fixed at 16GBs and the memory use is down to nominal 2GB levels at startup.

Everything works fine with a steady 100+fps on Overwatch with the RX580, but! Sound suddenly drops out about 5-10 mins into any game or video (on YouTube). The only way to fix it is to restart the VM. I've tried an external USB-based Creative Sound Blaster HD, but the same issues persist.