[SOLVED] Sudden loss of file access - WebUI/Telnet OK

[SOLVED]: EDIT: Able to restore access to file shares by running a chkdsk and repair on the USB Boot Drive from another computer.

Hello--

I've been running unRAID for many years though I'm still on a legacy 4.5.6 version.  Use the unRAID server daily and have never experienced this issue before.

Turned on the unRAID server this morning and found I'm unable to access my files via any of my clients (Windows or Mac).  Typically would access it over \\tower or my static IP of \\192.168.1.101.  Now am unable to connect to the network location from any clients.

Accessing the WebGUI via http://192.168.1.101/main.htm shows unRAID is started up, shows all my drives attached and green, etc.  I can also still telnet to the IP directly and log in without an issue.

WebGUI screenshot: YwK34PL.png 

I've done my fair share of unRAID troubleshooting over the years, but have never found a situation when the WebGUI came up and reported happy but I was unable to get to my files.  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated as to what I should look at or try next.

Cheers.

Edited by Vorlagen

Very few people still are familiar with 4.x  (and everyone including myself will recommend to upgrade to 6.3.2)

But, in order to diagnose this we will require your syslog at the very least

cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt

And then upload syslog.txt here from the flash drive.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Squid/johnnie.black.  I actually tried booting after running a chkdsk and assocaited repair on the USB boot drive and it's displaying the shares again.  I've updated this thread to show [SOLVED].

I'll work on updating to 6.3.2.  Since I'm coming from 4.5.6 the v5 upgrade plugin doesn't seem to be an option.

I will go through the instructions here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

Though I'll backup everything for a wholesale backout, it looks like I just need to save my .key file, network.cfg, iden.cfg, and shares configs.  I'll take a screenshot of what drives are which (particularly parity), but this seems like only an extra precuation if I plan on restoring my .cfg files.

I take it the actual FORMATTING of the disks is the same, so if I had issues and needed to restore back to my old settings I could restore the entire contents of the old thumbdrive.

Re-format thumb drive, copy over new v6 files and my .cfg and .key, then boot.  I understand the Permissions Tool will need to be run once I boot up the first time.

Anything else I should keep in mind?