Domain Email Hosting

unevent

I've been using godaddy economy Linux hosting (w/cpanel) for about five years for email using my own domain.  I'm up for renewal and my deal I had at $3.50/month is now $8/month and I'm looking for other options for email server hosting.  I have about 15 email addresses using six mailboxes (family email).  Looking around most pricing is for one mailbox with multiple aliases and adding more mailboxes makes the $8/month from godaddy look sweet in comparison.  Anyone know of email hosting using own domain for less than $4-5 a month that is not a spam magnet?  I'm not against hosting myself.   Anyone with experience hosting their own mail server in Docker or VM?

Hosting your own email is not without perils, I have done it for years for my business, but not on unRAID. The first thing that helps is having a static IP from your ISP, while its not required, its easier than the work arounds. The second thing you need is something to protect you from all the spam and nasty stuff you will get and there are a ton of solutions for that, some baked into email servers some not. Then you need email server software, again plenty of options here. At the end of the day though, since email is pretty important, I would suggest its better to have someone host it for you, such as in your case, GoDaddy. Even for under $10 per mailbox per month, its worth it in my opinion, the flipside is the hassle of trying to do it yourself and maintaining it 24/7/365

Edited by ashman70

I fooled around with hosting my own mail server at home in a VM. There are some easy click-to-setup apps like mailcow and mailinabox too. While it was fun to learn Postfix/SpamAssassin/dovecot and such, it turned into more of a hassle than it was worth.

ISP's block the ports needed, so to get email out you usually have to go through their relay or someone else's anyway.

In the end I switched to Zoho and haven't had any issues. Completely free for how I am using it. Might work for your needs too:

https://www.zoho.com/workplace/pricing.html?src=zmail

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, ninthwalker said:

I fooled around with hosting my own mail server at home in a VM. There are some easy click-to-setup apps like mailcow and mailinabox too. While it was fun to learn Postfix/SpamAssassin/dovecot and such, it turned into more of a hassle than it was worth.

ISP's block the ports needed, so to get email out you usually have to go through their relay or someone else's anyway.

In the end I switched to Zoho and haven't had any issues. Completely free for how I am using it. Might work for your needs too:

https://www.zoho.com/workplace/pricing.html?src=zmail

I looked into my ISP and they do not block ports or prohibit running mail servers, but they reserve the right to place blocking filters on my modem "to protect our network from problems created by spam and abuse, including problems from customer-run mail servers".

I had looked at Zoho, but did not see the workplace version that you linked to - thanks.  The price is right, free, but does come at a privacy cost, though most are probably the same. https://www.zoho.com/privacy.html  It's not that I do anything shady (its just family email), its just the principle of it.  The company has to profit from you somehow especially when they provide the services to you for free.  Send me a referral via PM if you want, haven't decided what I am going to do yet, however.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bally12345 said:

I used Linux hosted web mail for years and still do for most accounts but now iv switched my main email to outlook exchange it's £3.00 per month for a single mail box

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.

On 3/18/2017 at 5:52 PM, unevent said:

I'm up for renewal and my deal I had at $3.50/month is now $8/month and I'm looking for other options for email server hosting.  I have about 15 email addresses using six mailboxes (family email).  Looking around most pricing is for one mailbox with multiple aliases and adding more mailboxes makes the $8/month from godaddy look sweet in comparison.  Anyone know of email hosting using own domain for less than $4-5 a month that is not a spam magnet?  I'm not against hosting myself.   Anyone with experience hosting their own mail server in Docker or VM?

I think an extra $5.50 a month is not worth the multiple hassles of shifting everything. Don't fix what ain't broken.... but that is only my opinion. I know we are all tinkerers, but email is something that requires big reliability.

Edited by hernandito

Yeah the $5.50 by itself doesn't seem all that bad.  I get sticker shock when I add in domain renewal and hosting for 5 years.  A bit much for just family email.  I decided not to host because of the possible issue with blacklisting and the hassle with maintaining.  I've been trying out Zoho Workplace at the suggestion of another forum member for a few weeks now and it seems to do what I need.