[Solved] Totally messed up move to Unraid 6! Any advice welcome

Hi - really hope that somebody can help!?!

I totally messed up with my move to Unraid 6. 

I failed to take a screenshot of my Unraid 5 disk assignments (eg Parity/Cache/Disk 1 etc etc). I must have had too much confidence in my ability to simply move to 6!

I then screwed up my upgrade ... I copied over some files from the copy of the 5 flash install and added them to the 6 flash install (not just the licence file) after reading some post about this is what you should do! 

It booted but didn't really work well .. all sorts of errors when moving files around from my mac (files simply dissapearing, folders locking etc) ... probably made worse by me being confused by dockers and config / addresses etc.

SO - I thought that I should try again with a clean install and no files from my 5 copy included

That worked well .. but I now have to assign my drives .. and I have no idea which one is my original Parity drive?! The only one that I can recognise is my cache drive because of its size.

I've tried to go back to my Unraid 5 copy of the memory stick contents but this will not boot - get the error message "failed to load com32 file menu". I was hoping that if I could reboot in 5 then I could note down the disc assignments.

So - I am pretty much stuck - I guess that If I assign the drives incorrectly then I am like to lose a lot (all?) of my data... so quite worried about what to do next.

Any help gratefully received (either re how to identify drives to assign or how to get my old 5 to boot correctly?!.. or maybe add somethign from 5 to the 6 install in order to identify the drives at boot up .. and then go back to a clean install once I've noted this)

Hope somebody can help/advise- thanks in anticipation

David

Edited by davekeel
solved (fingers crossed!)

Hi - thanks for this - the trouble is that I don't know which one is the parity drive .. I know that I used a 3tb parity drive .. but I have 4 3tb drives in my server and I don't know which one is which!?! I was hoping that there might be a way of identifying it?! It could be SDK, SDB, SDF or SDC at the moment?! Just trying to boot from Unraid 6 but with much of my config folder from unraid 5 included .. in the hope that this may at least display my disc assignments?! Meanwhile any other advice gratefully received

Just rebooted Unraid 6 but with most of config folder from 5 included and I now have a display of my drive assigments from the previous 5 install. Seems that parity is SDC and that nothing is listed under FS/USED columns etc. I think that I may be back on track. Will note these down and then go for a clean (and slow and careful) install. Thanks Woodpusherghd

4 minutes ago, davekeel said:

hi trurl - thanks for your input! From my mac, when I click on "Tower" I see all of my shares listed, plus the flash drive and another 'share" called appdata. With unraid 5 I always just saw "cache" as another share?! 

Cache is a disk. Sharing of disks is disabled by default. appdata is a user share created for your applications.

right - thanks trurl - so I guess that I must have had Cache enabled as a share in the past install and the update to 6.00 has switched this off? I assume that if i switch on sharing again for this drive then it will perform as the old unraid cache drive that I knew and loved?!

Meanwhile - any advice re if I do a nice clean install of unraid 6 in order to remove any risk of screw ups from previous version 5.0, I can now reassign the drives as per the 5.00 install ... does this mean that I will get the same shares recovered and in place if I do this?! (ie the drives all contain the share information I think?!)

15 minutes ago, trurl said:

Your OP sounded pretty confused. Did you read the Upgrading wiki before you started this?

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

Yes I did - but unfortunately it did not go as planned. No idea why.

I backed up flash contents after stopping the array, I then copied the appropriate"old"  files to the right places (as per the Wiki) on the new version 6 install and have had nothing but problems since. If I could roll back to 5 I would .. but that back up will now not boot?! Problems include loss of Cache as a share, thousands of folders appearing locked from a mac, folder contents (on appdata) dissapearing and then reappearing later etc etc (whilst I am looking at them!). Bizarre - would go back to 5 in a heartbeat but that route is closed now I think

2 hours ago, davekeel said:

I assume that if i switch on sharing again for this drive then it will perform as the old unraid cache drive that I knew and loved?!

I mostly discourage people from sharing disks. User share settings gives you all the control you need. Even more importantly, mixing disks and user shares while copying/moving can result in data loss. That is why disk shares are disabled by default.

14 minutes ago, trurl said:

I mostly discourage people from sharing disks. User share settings gives you all the control you need. Even more importantly, mixing disks and user shares while copying/moving can result in data loss. That is why disk shares are disabled by default.

Thank you trurl - advice taken. Just about to create a new clean unraid 6 install and try again - using drive assigns from the "broken" install that I have managed to get back up. Fingers crossed that shares will also return once I assign the drives - otherwise I am lost! Thanks again

4 minutes ago, davekeel said:

Fingers crossed that shares will also return once I assign the drives

User shares are just the top level folders from cache and array disks.

If you create a user share, unRAID will create a top level folder named for the share on one or more disks as needed according to the user share settings.

Conversely, if you have or create a top level folder on cache or array disks, it is automatically a user share named for the folder. If you don't make settings for a user share it will have default settings.

So, if your disks have folders on them, you will have user shares for those folders. If you didn't copy the settings from your old setup, these shares will have default settings. The share settings are in config/shares on your flash.

Wow - right - thank you = that is really helpful. all of my drives have folders on them that correspond to my shares! not a problem re-setting up the settings .. was very worried that I would loose them. Have been using unRaid for several years .. but because it simply works when you set it up then I am totally out of date with it unfortunately. OK - so will try a nice clean setup and start again and then slowly add dockers as I start to understand them more. Thanks again - very helpful

7 hours ago, Squid said:

Install the fix common problems plugin and have it scan for issues. Then post your diagnostics

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hi Squid- have done as you recommended - Fix Common Problems has found a few errors?! Any suggestions - they all seem to be the same error mainly!

fix common problems.jpeg

Hi Squid - thanks for your advice - how should I gather the diagnostics to post? Happy to put them up here as I am pretty desperate for some help/advice.

Performed a full clean install of 6.3.2 (reformatted memory stick, added pro licence to config, made bootable via Mac etc) then rebooted and assigned drives as per my v5 setup. All of my shares returned and seemed to be OK. I set SMB to Mac interoparability, installed Community Plug in, ran new permissions tool on all shares and all disks, installed Fix Common Problems and got the result above and thought that everything seemed OK. 

HOWEVER .. I can look at folders and files on the shares via my Mac and sometimes folders appear empty, sometimes full. Sometimes the contents list disappears as I am looking at it! If I try to edit the name of a file it disappears... So, as you can see, I really do need some help please?! Just let me know how (or point me in the right direction) to create diagnostics report and I'll make and post straight away. Can't believe that I am having so many issues after years and years of perfectly stable version 5!

Hope you can help

Will do - but going from bad to worse unfortunately. The server just totally crashed and wouldn't even respond to a "shutdown -h now" command, so had to pull the plug,

It's now strugging to restart and stuck on "mounting disks" for the last 5 minutes. Very worrying but will do my best to get diagnostics to you. Thanks again

3 minutes ago, davekeel said:

It's now strugging to restart and stuck on "mounting disks" for the last 5 minutes. Very worrying but will do my best to get diagnostics to you. Thanks again

If it stays stuck,

shut it down.  Pull the flash drive and change config/disk.cfg   startArray="yes" to be startArray="no"  Then boot up

Go to settings - fix common problems, put it into troubleshooting mode, then start the array.

After a couple of minutes if it doesn't start up, shut it down, pull the flash and post up logs/FCPsyslog_tail.txt (and the last dated diagnostics file in the same folder)

If it does manage to start up, then try and replicate the same issues you've been having and post up those same 2 files.

Hi Squid - thanks for the instructions - it's started up OK following your guidance and the array has started. I've started to play around with files via my Mac and suddenly all of the folders locked (on a Mac it shows as a red "no entry" sign on the folder) whilst I was looking at them ... and any folder I try to open states "you cannot open 'folder name" because you do not have permission to see its contents". So - more strange behaviour. There are about 2000 folders and they seemed to be slowly locking all of them. Next they are now all appearing as unlocked ... I open one and then close it and they are all locked again?! Totally bizarre! Have attached files as requested! Keeping my fingers crossed that you can make sense of this! Thanks in anticipation

tower-diagnostics-20170319-0953.zip

FCPsyslog_tail.txt