Rackable Systems drive capacity limit?

Gang,

Snooping around fleabay I have found some stupendous deals on old Rackable Systems servers.  In particular, the 12-bay dual Xeon systems are only 15.5" deep.  While I desperately want to move to a rack chassis, I am depth-limited in the chassis I can choose.  The Rackable Systems would fit perfectly (physically), but I've read elsewhere that, with older generation servers, there is a TB limit to the disks that can be used.  I'm wondering if this is a function of the chipset, or the SATA backplane perhaps?  I believe the backplane is simple an electrical concentrator (correct me if I'm wrong), but I've seen posts with systems using new-ish CPUs and chipsets which should support, for example, 8TB disks, where the poster states that he cannot get them to be recognized.

Before I explore purchasing one of these systems (chime in if you're using one), can anyone speak to disk capacity limitations of older-gen server hardware?

Thanks.

The backplane is actually a physical board with connectors on it which has to be replaced, the ones that only support up to 2TB are SAS backplanes, what you want is a SAS2 backplane to go beyond the 2TB limit. I have seen some Supermicro servers with SAS backplanes and priced out SAS2 backplanes from $300-500 so while the server may be a deal, upgrading the backplane can cost. I was fortunate enough on eBay to score a Supermicro 36bay chassis complete with motherboard, dual (older) Xeons and 52GB of ECC RAM and a SAS2 backplane up here in Canada for a great price. I hear the servers with SAS2 backplanes are harder to find now.

Thanks for the reply!  The system I am looking at had 16 individual SATA connectors on the backplane, and some models include a 3Ware SATA RAID controller.  So I don't think SAS is going to be an issue here.  Still wondering if I just misread the posts I mentioned earlier (maybe I mistook SAS for SATA at some point).... Wondering if any plain old SATA backplane can support and size drives -- I assume like I said its just an electrical connection passed through to the host controller.

You can never be sure which is why you have to ask the seller, if they don't know then its a gamble. I'd hate to be stuck with a server that was limited to 2TB drives, so if you can, make absolutely sure before you buy. One piece of advice, before I bought my server I emailed Supermicro tech support because I wanted to know if one HBA could support all 36 drives and they were very helpful, sending me a diagram and answering all my questions.

Thanks again.  I'll contact SGI to see if they can advise on a server so old, but they deal with supercomputers and mega-million-dollar server farms, so I'm not sure a peon like me and my $300 ebay purchase are gonna rate.  We'll see.  In the meantime I have contacted the seller, hopefully they know for sure.  I did find a spec sheet on the server that I am looking at, which advised the 12-bay version supports up to 100TB.  But I'm guessing there are various revisions of backplanes, based on the number of years the server was in production.

13 hours ago, tucansam said:

Thanks for the reply!  The system I am looking at had 16 individual SATA connectors on the backplane, and some models include a 3Ware SATA RAID controller.  So I don't think SAS is going to be an issue here.  Still wondering if I just misread the posts I mentioned earlier (maybe I mistook SAS for SATA at some point).... Wondering if any plain old SATA backplane can support and size drives -- I assume like I said its just an electrical connection passed through to the host controller.

I have 2 Supermicro rack cases, a 24 bay CSE 846 and a 36 bay CSE 847. I only have simple pass trough backplanes, SAS846TQ which has 24 SATA connectors onboard which are connected with 6 breakout cables to 3 M1015 controllers and the other server has a SAS846A and SAS826A backplane which are connected through 6 and 4 SFF8087 to SAS8087 cables. All backplanes support 8 TB disks just fine upto 6BG/s. If in doubt you can always ask Supermicro.