problem increasing RAM to VM

Hello,

I've added one more DDR4 8GB stick to my unRaid server, so now I've got 2 sticks of 8GB each.

I have tried to increase the size of the RAM for my win10 VM, but it getting stuck on the win10 logo.

until today I used 6GB of RAM with the one stick (which works well even with 2 installed sticks).

but the problem occurs when I assign more than this, for example 8GB/10GB/12GB.

is this an unraid bug? can't it assign ram from 2 different RAM sticks to a VM?

or, is it a way of passing thru an entire RAM stick to the VM?

btw,

I'm passing thru GTX1060 6GB GPU.

Thanks.

23 hours ago, 1812 said:

I consistently feed 32GB from several sticks to a vm, so not a bug that I know of.

try to start the vm, wait for it to stall, then export diagnostics and post them up here.

well,

after few reboots and shutdowns of the unraid server it started to load for some reason...

I'm thinking that it was a known Win10 VM issue that seems to affect some users where under certain circumstances (notably certain updates) you need to set the number of cores allocated to the VM to be only one and then boot up the VM (followed by shutdown and resetting the core numbers back to whatever you want)....

well,

after last shutdown of the VM,

I started the VM again and it got stuck again on the startup screen.

after few minutes it shutdown itself.

I got this from the log:

" LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name guest=win10,debug-threads=on -S -object secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-7-win10/master-key.aes -machine pc-i440fx-2.7,accel=kvm,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host -m 10240 -realtime mlock=off -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 -uuid 21fb2763-0e7e-e9f0-8a35-3265378dc719 -display none -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-7-win10/monitor.sock,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=localtime,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device nec-usb-xhci,id=usb,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7 -device ahci,id=sata0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3 -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4 -drive file=/mnt/user/vms/win10/vdisk1.img,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-sata0-0-2,cache=writeback -device ide-hd,busdr=2,id=hostdev2,bus=usb.0,port=1 -device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=4,id=hostdev3,bus=usb.0,port=2 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8 -msg timestamp=on
Domain id=7 is tainted: high-privileges
Domain id=7 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
2017-03-17T20:49:16.605981Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 8719
2017-03-17 20:49:18.207+0000: shutting down, reason=destroyed "

btw,

after the VM shutdown itself I started it again, and it loaded fine..

Thanks.

Edited by amstel