Cant access folders due to file permissions

I am running a program called urbackup in a virtual machine. This program is used for backing up pc's on my network. The share is setup as public and I can access the share. However, i cant access the folders in that directory from my windows machine.

The file permissions are urbackup:urbackup

These permissions cant be changed by the urbackup program as far as I know. So my question is, how can I access these folders? I have tried mapping the drive in windows 10 using root and the password but it wont allow this. I need to give a user on the unraid server read access to these folders. Is this possible to setup?

Install the 'Fix Common Problems' plugin.  It will install a utility call ' Docker Safe New Perms ' in the Tools menu.  It will fix the problem for now.  But I think you need find a way to 'fix' that program you are using.  It may be necessary to contact the developer/programmer to resolve this problem. 

7 minutes ago, molesza said:

Its an NFS share

Whether NFS or SMB, if it's a public share then the ownership and permissions set by NewPerms will be correct to allow everyone access. The real problem is keeping your application from changing it so you can't access from Windows again.

Yes, you can!!!     "Settings"   >>>>  "SMB"   >>>>  SMB Extras".  There add the new SMB commands and click  on 'Apply' and reboot your server.  (This creates a file called smb-extra.conf in the config folder.  This file is loaded at the tail end of the smb.conf that is a part of unRAID and thus your new commands become a part of the SMB configuration.)

It may be possible the starting and stopping the array with the GUI will do the trick but I am not 100% sure this will work.    There are also some command line commands (to stop an restart SMB) but I don't recall them since it has been twenty years since I last used them

8 hours ago, ken-ji said:

Actually, the OP would only need this setting for the Backup Share. not for everything.

Also its not at the end. its loaded before the generated config file defining the shares.

Or request LimeTech to put the include statement for smb-extra.conf after the the one for smb-shares.conf     (I knew about the actual position in the file but forgot as I saw that a year or two ago.  At the time, I thought it was strange but decided not to rise the issue.)  In my opinion, that is where it should be anyway!  The user should always have the option to be able to override any statement in a pre-configured configuration file in Linux.  He may do something stupid but that is his right... 

If a SMB statement (or command) exists to do what it is you propose, I would say that writing a plugin to do this is like using a jack-hammer to drive a tack. An alternative would be to write a BASH script to stop SMB, a sed command to modify smb.conf (possibly putting the  include = /boot/config/smb-extra.conf  statement at the end of the file where it belongs)  and restart SMB.  This script could be put at the end of the go file.  Of course, this would only be using a sledgehammer to drive that tack.   9_9

Edited by Frank1940
Extensive editing!!!

The real feature that we want here is per share custom smb.conf settings.

The reason the smb-extra.conf loads before the shares is so that it can be used to set global overrides. But per share settings and tweaks are not actually possible - without some clever tricks like @dlandon used in the Recycly Bin plugin.

Personally I have no idea when the smb.conf for the shares are generated or how to override it.

regarding this topic i just set a global override to use nobody:users on all the files and just the user accounts to check share level access.